Have I made a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Shouldn't anyone that doesn't use the drops be made to hand back the road bike and get one with a basket and streamers out the ends of the handlebars because it would look less daft? I mean, why bother riding a road bike with five hand positions if you never use the lower two? Move the bars (flip the stem, get a new stem, whatever), change to shallower drops or do something to use the bike properly ;)

si_c

Guru
For the first year or so of riding a road bike, I rarely used them at all. Having said that I've started using them more, partly as I've lost weight they are getting more comfortable to use as well as being more comfortable generally in a lower position as I've accustomed to riding a road bike.

I use them mostly when going downhill or in poor road conditions as I feel more in control of the bike that way, of course that could be purely psychological.

vickster

Legendary Member
Shouldn't anyone that doesn't use the drops be made to hand back the road bike and get one with a basket and streamers out the ends of the handlebars because it would look less daft? I mean, why bother riding a road bike with five hand positions if you never use the lower two? Move the bars (flip the stem, get a new stem, whatever), change to shallower drops or do something to use the bike properly ;)
That's constructive advice for a beginner

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You might want to experiment with riding in the drops, rather than just ignoring them. I use the front (curved) bits of the drops to get a good grip on the brake levers on steep hills, and the flat (lower) parts when battling a headwind or on long straight-ish stretches trying to get up a bit of speed, or sometimes just for a bit of a change. But it only adds up to a smallish percentage of the time. Most of the time I'm on the hoods.

The drops will seem weird if you are not used to a 'proper' road bike;get comfortable on the hoods and then start using the drops now and then on quieter roads.It may sound wrong but being on the drops is actually really good on descents although with your hands positioned so that you can apply any braking easy and being right on the back of the drops is good for long slogs against the wind,although you can get low on the hoods;

cycling-103th-tour-de-france-2016-stage-16-julian-alaphilippe-tony-picture-id577072286.jpg

When you are really comfy you can also do the puppy paws thing:smile:;

b3d8b68144cd7a7f132fc75073c87e2c.jpg

Attachments

• cycling-103th-tour-de-france-2016-stage-16-julian-alaphilippe-tony-picture-id577072286.jpg
    cycling-103th-tour-de-france-2016-stage-16-julian-alaphilippe-tony-picture-id577072286.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 31
  • b3d8b68144cd7a7f132fc75073c87e2c.jpg
    b3d8b68144cd7a7f132fc75073c87e2c.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 37

Onthedrops

Veteran
On the hoods most of the time. Sometimes on the tops, especially when climbing. I do go on the drops, generally on descents as the leverage on the brake levers is vastly improved when compared to the hoods.

In short, my hands are all over the place!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most folk ride on the hoods - for comfort, and hit the drops on descents as you have greater power braking, although your fingers will get stronger braking from the hoods.

RedRider

Pulling through
It feels good in the drops around corners too.

Kajjal

Guru
I would be wary of changing the saddle fore and aft position to fix arm pain in case that causes other issues elsewhere.
Good advice, saddle position is purely to get the legs in the right place.

My new bike has shorter reach and drop bars which means I am now comfortable in the drops as needed, downhill , into a strong wind or just cruising on the flat at speed. On my old bike the drops were pretty much unusable.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The drops will seem weird if you are not used to a 'proper' road bike;get comfortable on the hoods and then start using the drops now and then on quieter roads.It may sound wrong but being on the drops is actually really good on descents although with your hands positioned so that you can apply any braking easy and being right on the back of the drops is good for long slogs against the wind,although you can get low on the hoods;

When you are really comfy you can also do the puppy paws thing:smile:;
I tend to ride 90 % of the time like the 1st bloke .

Attachments

• cycling-103th-tour-de-france-2016-stage-16-julian-alaphilippe-tony-picture-id577072286.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom