Have I made a mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Just an excuse to show a pic of my fave rider giving it some beans "on the tops" :smile:

2w3ord5.jpg

Shaun
A remarkable likeness to Phil Bayton in the big picture.

oldroadman

Veteran
Maybe a little tip that could be useful. When cornering on descents, grip the top tube with your kness. Locks you and the bike together and makes things more stable. On really sharp ones, dropping the inside knee can help "pull" the bike round. And always look where you want to go, relax, lean, and the bike will tend to do what you want. Start getting worried about going into a bush, stare at it, good odds of ending up in it! Enjoy.....^_^,

Sharky

Guru
I'd love to use the drops but find the indigestion, caused by my thighs clattering into my belly, somewhat distracting.
Drops are for downhills and rapid braking.
Used to keep hitting my stomach "muscles" with my thighs as well. But a switch to "compact" bars and also to shorter cranks, enabling me to raise my saddle has made it much more comfortable.

As above, drops are for when you need greater control for cornering and descending.

It was interesting to see riders at the world track champs on TV this week. When going for a lap, they nearly always rode on the "tops", rather than the "drops".
Presumably for the "aero" advantages.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I like the position in this pic, it's slightly lower than the conventional "on the hoods" position..

sptdw4085_670.jpg
My back would be in half if I rode for more than 5 minutes like this.
Armchair view hybrid for me!

Reactions: mjr

GuyBoden

Guru
This chap has a good position as well - I think I remember it being in Cycling Weekly!

ab-jpg.150598.jpg

ab-jpg.150598.jpg

@Sharky
That looks like a picture of my uncle, Alan Boden, probably taken in the late 1960's. Where did you get the photo from, I'd like a copy if you have one?

Here is Alan Boden again (below), he's the last on the right with a beard, 1967.
1967-bbar.jpg

Alan Boden again (below) in the middle picture, 3rd in the National Time Trials 1968, note the bar end shifters in both pics.
nat%20100.jpg

Attachments

• ab-jpg.150598.jpg
    ab-jpg.150598.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
@Sharky
That looks like a picture of my uncle, Alan Boden, probably taken in the late 1960's. Where did you get the photo from, I'd like a copy if you have one?
Google time trial legends. Lots of great riders are in there, including Alan. At the time he did the sub 4hr 100, he was one of a very small "club" and being a slightly older rider at the time I think was the fastest at his age.

Yorksman

Hi all. Bought a drop bar road bike a few months ago to try and get a bit fit riding. Not really done much cycling in the past.
I realise I only ever have my hands on the top of the bars and never on the drop bit as it's just not natural and comfortable for me. I don't have a problem with having my hands on the top, just wondered if I changed them for straight bars would this be of any benefit at all.
My goal isn't speed, just miles really.
Not sure what to do?

If it's not a problem, you don't need to do anything. Getting a streamline profile is not mandatory.

I use butterfly handlebars in conjunction with an adjustable stem which gives a large number of possibilities. I mostly ride in a very upright position though because I have a bit of a bad back. Sometimes I will drop onto the lower part of the bar where I find some special grips with palm supports very useful.

521220_1.jpg

You see all sorts of configurations. It is entirely a personal choice. http://tinyurl.com/zqztumc

Top Bottom