Have I made the right decision…..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

I know the obvious answer is whatever works for you; however, your opinions would be appreciated.
I’m going for the Planet X pro carbon on a cycle to work scheme. I originally bought the sram force with mechanical discs. I noticed they had the sram rival with hydraulic brakes on offer. I could have gone for the hydraulic force but really couldn’t be faffed with redoing the cert & the offer finishes Tuesday. As far as I can tell the only difference between force & rival is a bit of weight (carbon v Ali components I guess?).
Have I done the right thing? Is a hydraulic rival better than a mechanical force.

Last edited:
I have no idea - just replying to wish you well and congratulate you on your new bike!!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
What, him or what he's carrying?
I have both and there's really very little difference in stopping power. Modulation is a little better with hydraulic.
Him, they are cheap mechanicals, where as his summer bike has Dura Ace rim breaks which he feels are better...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is one of the grass is greener questions. Don’t second guess your decision. Rarely is a bike for life. Ride the bike you’ve bought. At some point in future you’ll replace it. You can then decide on spec once more.

I suppose what kind of riding you are doing will affect things. With my road bike with mechanical rim brakes I don't see any advantage of my gravel bike with hydraulics on road but I suppose off road I would. But given the on road bike never goes off road I've no urge to rush out and replace it with a bike with hydraulic brakes.

Top Bottom