Have I ordered the right size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWill

Hi,

I'm using a Ribble winter bike with a 56cm horizontal top tube and 11cm stem with 3cm spacers and 9cm saddle to bar tops, at the moment, which is perfect.

I've ordered the 57cm Kinesis ( 56.8cm projected top tube) and to get the same reach I'll need to put on a 10cm stem and to get same saddle/bar drop I'll need 1cm or maybe no spacers.

The 54 Kinesis ( 55.6cm top tube) would fit I think with the same 11cm stem and 3cm spacers as my current bike. Although would have a lot of seat tube showing.

Do you think I have ordered the right size?

It's a weird one because both options end up with the same reach within 2mm.

Going off a few bike fit calculators the 57 is right. And Kinesis's guide.

I'm 179.5cms tall with 79cm inseam.

Last edited:

Cyclist33

Order a different bike with a 56.0cm TT if it matters to you!

mattobrien

Guru
Which Kinesis frame are you looking at?

I have a Crosslight Pro6, which while having a short head tube has plenty of mudguard clearance in the fork, raising the overall height of the head tube, compared to less guard clearance.

I was looking at either a 57 or 60 frame and after discussions with LBS they recommended a 57 as the seat post wouldn't have much showing on the 60 version. I believe that the Kinesis frames are sized by seat tube length.

I also thin that it is probably possible to make two frames have contact positions in pretty much the same positions using the methods you have described.

If in doubt get downy to LBS / Kinesis dealer to get properly measured and fitted as you may find you have long legs and a short body or vice versa, so traditional simple sizing charts may not be right for you.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Which Kinesis frame are you looking at?

I have a Crosslight Pro6, which while having a short head tube has plenty of mudguard clearance in the fork, raising the overall height of the head tube, compared to less guard clearance.

I was looking at either a 57 or 60 frame and after discussions with LBS they recommended a 57 as the seat post wouldn't have much showing on the 60 version. I believe that the Kinesis frames are sized by seat tube length.

I also thin that it is probably possible to make two frames have contact positions in pretty much the same positions using the methods you have described.

If in doubt get downy to LBS / Kinesis dealer to get properly measured and fitted as you may find you have long legs and a short body or vice versa, so traditional simple sizing charts may not be right for you.

It's a Racelight T2. How tall are you? The Guide for that frame is the same.

I'd have 15cm seatpost on the 54 and 12cm on the 57.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
No. Should have gone smaller. Always go smaller. Which in the vast majority of today's cyclists would be closer to the correct size

OP
OP
M

MrWill

No. Should have gone smaller. Always go smaller. Which in the vast majority of today's cyclists would be closer to the correct size

The contact points are in the same position on both. But with the 54 needing min 30mm spacers under the stem, would that not mean that bike fits worse than the 57?

Less chance of toe overlap or knees hitting the bar when out of the saddle with the 57 too?

It's not a TT or triathlon bike I'm building so not after that coiled hunched back the leggy pro riders have. A commute, weekend zip about and KOM stealing machine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrWill

Eurgh we will see. I'll build it up and if it is too big I'll sell it and buy the smaller.

mattobrien

Guru
It's a Racelight T2. How tall are you? The Guide for that frame is the same.

I'd have 15cm seatpost on the 54 and 12cm on the 57.
I am 6' tall. I have got the 57 with a 120 stem - I changed from a 100 to a 120 stem to get the contact points the same between both bikes, which are with a couple of mm on the reach, so happy there.

OP
OP
M

MrWill

I am 6' tall. I have got the 57 with a 120 stem - I changed from a 100 to a 120 stem to get the contact points the same between both bikes, which are with a couple of mm on the reach, so happy there.
Oh right so your 4 cms taller, but I have 2cm less stem, and I require a non-layback seat post, to get pedal axle right. So sounds ok!

OP
OP
M

MrWill

Hi, so I've built it up just now.

The stem is slammed but is still 1cm higher than on the Ribble frame. So the bar saddle drop is now 8cm. Instead of 9 which I liked, with compact bars.

And I am struggling a bit to get my wrists straight on the hoods! Wrists are angled down a bit. But The 105 hoods are long kind of.

So if I get the 54 frame I'll have the same reach but the bars will be slightly lower and I can get my wrists straight, I think???????

I don't feel stretched on it, but have a 10cm stem on. Looks a bit naff slammed with 10cm on a big frame.

Would possibly have to switch to 170mm cranks maybe on the 54 though I suspect a bit of toe overlap.

So what's the verdict? Send it back get 54? I kind of tink so, but hmm.

Also when i stand over it my nuts are squashed. But that's a naff way of fitting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrWill

Meh it is done, 54 ordered, 57 going back. I DO BLOODY HOPE IT'S RIGHT THIS TIME.

Headtube seemed huge on the 57 T2 kinesis at 17cms.

Think they have got their size guide a bit off!

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Hopefully you'll like the smaller size. Most people feel much better on a smaller one anyway, in all regards, especially nuts not being sat on the top bar ;)

Top Bottom