Have we finally found a solution for cyclists cold feet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpaceSputnik

First :welcome: to Cycle Chat.
Like these decent overshoes, perhaps?

Don't quite know what you mean by 'oversized'. These Enduras are a tight fit (zip at the back). A loose (oversized) fit would interfere with the cranks.

Thanks for the welcome :smile:
A bit confused by your reply, seems you are quoting yourself. But anyway.
What I meant to say is just use a watersports neoprene bootie as a shoe over a merino sock. Oversized to the point that the sock fits with a bit of room to spare.
I guess the problem with these is that the sole is pretty thin because they are meant to be flexible to fit inside a kayak hull where any more traditional sole would have a tendency to get stuck. Might be too thin for cycling application.

Neo Sport Wetsuits Premium Neoprene 3mm Low Top Pull On Boot, Black, 9 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000LK1O8Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KO6uAbQV7A30S

Another thing paddles do is a completely soft neoprene sock inside a large sneaker or sometimes even a sandal. Layered under neoprene.

I do have a feeling hovewer that with my tendency to get cold I need an active source of heat on my toes. Yesterday, I did fine everywhere but my big toes. If if wasn't for these I could have gone an entire day in windy -10 but the toes were killing be after an hour. I guess insulating something that produces no heat only goes so far :smile:

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yes
18 miles Saturday in my northwave Celsius.. feet like toast..

1515440596897-2069230816.jpg

16 miles in my Giros Sunday ..numb feet.

151544067824578714502.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
What temps? Windy?

About 2 to 4°C. Ice where sun had not been windy enough to make me give up on sunday.

Mtb xc ride sat and i got muddy so wet aswel
Same socks too.
I hate cold feet..30 yrs working outside..

I was going to change my pedals as the boots are spd..the giro are spdsl road bike ride sunday., i will next road ride if its freezing

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
presumably you have to buy the ones that are specifically for cycling?
Yes. Most if not all have a 'hole' to allow a cleat to engage with a pedal.
just use a watersports neoprene bootie as a shoe over a merino sock. Oversized to the point that the sock fits with a bit of room to spare. I guess the problem with these is that the sole is pretty thin because they are meant to be flexible to fit inside a kayak hull where any more traditional sole would have a tendency to get stuck. Might be too thin for cycling application.
"just use a watersports neoprene bootie as a shoe over a merino sock." [and then cycle]
You have never done this have you? Why recommend a course of action which is practical only in your imagination? You then point out the flaws in this cunning plan. How long do you think rubber reinforced neoprene material would last on a bicycle pedal? Do you think that footwear with flexible thin soles is a good choice for cycling?
What do are you supposed to wear under overshoes? Regular shoes? Would a pair of mesh training shoes do?
Why are you asking this? Why do you think they're called "overshoes"? What shoes do you wear when cycling? "Regular shoes"?
I appreciate that some of your meaning may be being lost in tran(at)slantic (mis) understanding.

SpaceSputnik

^ Geez. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom