Have we finally found a solution for cyclists cold feet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The solution has been here for a long time: " Don't ride in winter!"

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Battery powered socks aside, it's not the sock that insulates your foot, but the air trapped within the knit of the sock.

If you wear "warmer" socks in the same shoe, any extra air gets squashed out, and your foot ends up no warmer, and could even end up colder if you're left with more sock and less air in the space between foot & shoe than you had before.
The first step towards warmer feet is to use bigger shoes (wider as well as longer), with no mesh panels. Once you've got an air gap between foot and shoe, you can add just enough sock to fill it loosely, to stop the air moving about. Your foot will move about within the shoe, but that's better than frozen feet.
Once you go as far as buying a bigger shoe, you may as well go the whole hog and get a winter boot.

A supplementary point is that your foot contains very little muscle, and hence produces no heat. Any warmth that gets into your foot does so via warm blood coming down your leg. Keep it coming by keeping your torso warm, and don't let it cool too much on the way down.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The first step towards warmer feet is to use bigger shoes (wider as well as longer), with no mesh panels. Once you've got an air gap between foot and shoe, you can add just enough sock to fill it loosely, to stop the air moving about. Your foot will move about within the shoe, but that's better than frozen feet.
Once you go as far as buying a bigger shoe, you may as well go the whole hog and get a winter boot.
Agree x 4. Think you could have added that the footwear needs to be 'airtight' (for cold weather use) to avoid "the air moving about" no 'vents' in the sole or tape them up - which leads nicely to the 'winter boot' suggestion (NB one size larger than your shoe). Also layering, in the form of a decent overshoe with some insulation (eg 3mm neoprene) has merit.
So how do socks that are warmer but no thicker work in that theory?
Think Andrew has posited that the socks' thickness needs to be 'Mummy Bear' thick (for the footwear it's inside). Thicker can be colder.
I have found these 'merino' ones excellent for winter rides: More-mile-colorado-wool-cycling-socks (The sizing is 'correct' btw.)

Last edited:
I have found these 'merino' ones excellent for winter rides: More-mile-colorado-wool-cycling-socks (The sizing is 'correct' btw.)

Ajax, thank you for the link to the Merino wool Colorado socks reduced from a tenner to £2.50.

The sceptic inside of me asks why there is 75% off such a good quality item.

The confidence I have in word of mouth recommendations on forums like this over-rides that scepticism.

I know you said you have found them to be excellent , but in what temp & for what duration of ride?

Also, did you order from this supplier online, or did you phone their 0844 number with connection charges? Or, did you order the item from a different retailer? Thanks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just wear a pair of thick loop-stitch walking socks. Leave your shoes looser than normal and cover them with neoprene overshoes. Problem solved.

Hardrock93

Guru
This. I bought a pair of Aldi leather walking boots recently. At £19.99 they seemed worth a punt, even if they turned out to be rubbish. They are ideal for winter cycling on flat pedals. Very light, waterproof and wide fitting. We were cycling this morning in -3 deg frosty sunshine and they kept my feet comfortably warm.

Edited to correct price.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ajax, thank you for the link to the Merino wool Colorado socks . . .
I know you said you have found them to be excellent , but in what temp & for what duration of ride?
Most recently for a 8am-4pm 100 mile ride starting out in 3 degrees, rising to 6 and back down to 4. Last month a 200km audax - similar conditions (sunrise to after sunset). Shorter rides a bit colder (eg 40km pub ride one December evening or on 27 Dec (75km club run)). HTH
My BH bought me two pairs for Christmas 2015, and then I bought another three pairs (3 for £10) in Jan 2017, both times from Start Fitness. They have lasted well - but avoid letting them be 'captured' by the velcro on your boots/overshoes.
On another thread I have also said that I've used Hot Hands chemical insoles (under my insoles in boots) - they give out warmth for 5 odd hours. I've had frostbite in some of my toes and frostnip in the rest so doing the best for my feet is important to me/my well being.

bpsmith

Veteran
I bought some of those Castelli Toe Thingy’s on Saturday. Test ride for 1.5 hours at 2 degrees proved them to be excellent. I had the usual Summer socks on with my shoe vents closed underneath and no other overshoes. They are thicker neoprene than my usual overshoes and in the only place where my feet get cold, so perfect really. Wouldn’t use in the wet though, as don’t protect the top of the shoe.

SpaceSputnik

How about oversized neoprene booties that kayakes use over merino socks? Kayakers do face a similar problem during winter paddling. Although addmittedly most of them don't paddle in -10 C like when I rode today, but they do need to account for immersion...but thats a different story.

Dang my toes were cold today...The derailers didn't work well either. But it was fun.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Top Bottom