Have you been fined for running a red light on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I do stop at red lights when driving or cycling.
I seem to be in a minority of cyclists who obey the red light.
I often find myself sat on the bike at a red light, only to find another cyclist wizzing past me.

My experience also

dodgy

Thread title is confusing. I had expected to read about people being fined for having a red light on their bike!
Never been fined here as I don't do it, well there are at least 2 Junctions around here with those under-tarmac sensors that will never make the lights go green for a cyclist, so it's either wait for a car to come up behind you, in which case you have to motion the driver onto the sensors, or you carefully go through or turn into a pedestrian.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I do stop at red lights when driving or cycling.
I seem to be in a minority of cyclists who obey the red light.
I often find myself sat on the bike at a red light, only to find another cyclist wizzing past me.

Same here. It's a rare day when I don't see a cyclist go through a red light, and it's everyone from youngsters to 'serious' cyclists on expensive road bikes. I was waiting on a bench this morning and saw about 12 cyclists go past, at least 2 of whom went through a red light on a zebra crossing as people were about to cross. I reckon there are drivers and cyclists who do, and ones who don't. And the cyclists who do will go through every red light they meet if they can get away with it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
When commuting pre Covid, (Cheshire into Salford), the number of cyclists to cars running red lights was probably 3:1. I can recall some cyclists were extremely lucky motorists were paying attention. HM Constabulary was very rarely seen.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When commuting pre Covid, (Cheshire into Salford), the number of cyclists to cars running red lights was probably 3:1. I can recall some cyclists were extremely lucky motorists were paying attention. HM Constabulary was very rarely seen.
Like someone said, that reflects the opportunity. 1 car stopped will block all following cars in that lane. It needs at least 4 bikes abreast to block following bikes.

Those of you saying you never go on red, does that include where cycleways cross carriageways (toucans and puffins)?

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Riding down the Wilmslow Road / Oxford Road into Manchester I would say as some lights less than 50% of cyclists stop. Pelican crossings are particularly bad, plus junctions where there is a point in the cycle where all branches are on red.

It really annoyed me at one point, but I don't really car anymore, I understand it winds drivers up, but generally I find those kinds of drivers will always find something to get wound up about.

Drago

Legendary Member
While on cycle patrol myself many, many moons ago I stopped an RLJ'er and was delighted to discover it was an off duty inspector from a different division. I took even more delight in reporting him to Court.

That said, I worked in 2 large towns during my policing career and caught hundreds more motorists doing it than cyclists.

Top Bottom