Have you been fined for running a red light on your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
According to 99% of social media articles it's a regular occurrence

Posted whilst driving their black cars, and wearing black

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You need to open your eyes more often.:laugh:
What?

I differentiate between amber gamblers and those who just drive through a red light. I appreciate that the offence is the same. However, whilst I've seen lots of amber gamblers I don't recall ever seeing a driver just drive through a red light

Seen plenty of cyclists do it though

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Don't think I've ever seen a car go through a red light. Seen plenty of cyclists. I was behind one last weekend so I shouted at him as he went straight through the lights (I stopped). He looked at me somewhat nonplussed. Caught him up a couple of miles later and gave him the death stare when I passed him
I would say wait by any set of traffic lights and watch as the lights turn green for one set and there will almost always, not every time, be a vehicle come across from another direction. Given the timing there will almost be a car jumping the lights.
Amber means stop, unless doing so will cause other vehicles to crash, swerve or take evasive action.

Adam4868

Guru
Got to be honest here on a bike I've done it plenty.Most mornings if I'm on bike to work if theres no one about.Theres a particular four way traffic junction and if it's on green for the Trams I'll go through or if traffic about I'll go on the pavement for a while.
In a car....never !

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Mea Culpa.

Last summer I was riding on a lockdown Sunday AM. Very quiet. Turned from Pall Mall into St James Park and pulled up at red light.

After waiting an age with a clear view nothing going east-west or vica versa in front of me, I started to pull off before the light hadchanged.

Loud shout of "Oi" from behind me and look round to see a 'Polis' van had pulled up behind. Pull a 360 and go back to front of queue and nothing more is said.

Following week turn into park, lights green and turn left into park. Next set of lights are red so I pull up. Another Cyclist pulls up and smiles and says to me "It's hard to be virtuous when there's no one else around" . I smile and we both wait our turn.

4 mounted Police trot past us through the red light.

I'm trying very hard to be 'virtuous'. People who don't live in London can't appreciate how many lights there are these days. They are the reason why traffic (including bikes) moves no faster today, than a Victorian Hackney Cab did. (That doesn't include the huge no of temporary lights for roadworks that are set up very poorly).

This is a good thread and a reminder that practice makes for good habits. Was out in the Regents Park peloton this morning and even though the adrenalin is flowing 98% of Cyclists show total respect for red lights. The 2% are shown a great example.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream

These lights are the bane of my commuting life. They change to Red without fail as I approach each working day at around 0330hrs. I can recall on one hand the number of instances where traffic approaching from the left (their green signal) has gone through whilst I’m stationary. I still don’t go through these lights at Red as there have been several occasions where there have been police cars behind me. Whilst it may be technically safe to pass through these lights when Red at that hour, it isn’t worth the unnecessary aggravation and/or fine dealing with the police if caught doing so.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Running a red light and riding the wrong way up a one way street. This rider does not think the rules apply to him. They got fined. They cannot say they did not deserve it, because they did.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've been known to set off a second or two early to avoid being boosted from behind, but only if I can see the other set of lights on red and the other traffic stopped.

You move off before the red, because you know that otherwise the driver behind you will hit you in the rear ?

Top Bottom