Have you been prescribed medication that your body has reacted against?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
First two statins,cannot remember their names,a mate of mine actually threw his statins back at the Doctor.He had just had stents put in and he was having awful trouble with all the medicines.He found out which one it was that was upsetting him,the statin.He finally got put on EZITIMBE which is the one i know take.I also stopped taking FINASTERIDE it was making me depressed.i also sleep badly,but i am not going down the sleeping pill trail.

I'm on Ezitmbe too for the same reason. But slightly less dramatically .

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I was put on Lithium for depression. It played havoc with my kidney function so for two years I had to get up for a pee 2-3 times a night. Any effect on my mood was more than offset by the aggravation caused by lack of sleep.

Too many times unfortunately.
In my teens I suffered badly from migraines and black outs and perhaps that culminated in the epileptic fit I had. During that time I had lots of prescribed medication that disagreed with my system.
The most notable was when the 'expert' I was seeing for the epilepsy prescribed me tablets to preempt the migraines. I subsequently went through a stage of extreme translucent fits and black outs. During one of the episodes a GP was called in by my parents and almost straight away I believe recognised the problem. Asking my parents what tablets is he on. When he found out he was most perturbed and instructed my parents to flush those tablets down the toilet. A while later I divulged in Dr Google and searched for the reason, on several sites, 'do not prescribe to anyone with epilepsy' etc.

Subsequently I am not sure if other tablets I was taking for epilepsy or something else caused a bout of pancreatitis but I dramatically lost weight and my meds weren't adjusted for that. The result was an overdose of sorts.

After this I came of the meds completely and was a picture of health for 20years until last year when a rapid blood loss and a little bit of anemia combined in a large iron deficiency and chronic fatigue. My current gp, consider that I should have had other serious health problems contary to I had done the LEJOG. I suspect that the fitness I had built up in those 20 years through cycling had made my system strong enough to cope to a degree with a chronic shortage of iron.
I stupidly was a bit reluctant to see the doc after my experiences in my youth but a simple blood test diagnosed the problem and a simple prescription of iron tablets sorted it out relatively fast restoring my faith in the NHS.

postman

Legendary Member
Oh yes first two statins,cannot remember their names,i refused to take them.Then a thing named FINASTERIDE for my prostate,that was evil.Depression and sexual dysfunction i also refused to take anymore,depression goneish but other problem still around and won't return.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some 10/15 years ago a blood test showed my cholesterol level as 8.9. I asked "what does that mean"?
She said "you are a heart attack waiting to happen, you need to go on statins".
I went to a herbalist who said "garbage. It depends if its good or bad cholesterol".
15 years later, I am still here doing my cycling and daily exercises

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Some 10/15 years ago a blood test showed my cholesterol level as 8.9. I asked "what does that mean"?
She said "you are a heart attack waiting to happen, you need to go on statins".
I went to a herbalist who said "garbage. It depends if its good or bad cholesterol".
15 years later, I am still here doing my cycling and daily exercises

Good for you Dave................. oh and by the way the link you give to your photography website doesn't appear to work

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was prescribed Ramipril ( an ACE inhibitor) for nearly seven years without having any problems, but then developed a persistant dry cough that simply wouldn't go away. Apparently, it's a well known side effect of the drug and can sometimes develop after a long time. My GP swapped me onto some other potion, and the cough went away. All drugs can have side effects. It doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't take anything to treat the symptoms of your ailments.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Be very wary of side effects. Tried a fair few, gave up. I'll stick with pain thanks... It's a balance...

classic33

Leg End Member
Forty-Two years ago today since I was placed on medication, later found to have side effects from long term use including bone thinning and liver damage. 11:00 - 11:30 on the Sunday.

Lignocaine. A well used local anaesthetic. Last time it was used, I ended up staying in having come to with a Doctor climbing off me, having done CPR and my head glued to the floor. Second time it had stopped the heart, in the same A&E.

nagden

Über Member
My doctor put me on statins made me feel awful, I had the most incredibly sore feet. I thought It was my Pedal set up. The cardiologist told me I did not need to take them. The sore feet stopped.

Another Dr put me on beat blockers for blood pressure, which was probably down to the white coat syndrome. I was ill for twenty months. I suffered with palpitations irregular heart beat and servere anxiety. Despite my complaints the cardiologist told ,me beat blockers were perfect for me. After twenty months my wife mentioned to the cardiologist that I was asthmatic And took ventolin. He looked horrified. He said that It was not possible to mix the two, even though his nurse had previously given me a prescription for ventolin. He put me on to calcium Channel blockers And Life is completely different. I am now cycling as much as possible to get super fit And ditch all médication.

I don't think I've ever had a bad reaction to anything, but I have had side effects and withdrawal effects.

Sertraline made me sweat too much. Anti depressants in general tend to affect one's libido (Fluoxetine was notable for this).

Venlafaxine worked quite well as an antidepressant, but had dreadful withdrawal effects. I tried to stop taking it and the depression/anxiety promptly came back complete with most of the well known withdrawal effects.

Top Bottom