Have you been prescribed medication that your body has reacted against?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was given some anti depressants, when I was still married, which messed with my head. I have synesthesia and the meds made it go away, which was very upsetting.
I stopped the meds pdq, synesthesia returned thankfully and I have dealt differently with any bouts of depression. Generally by having a good friend network, a blog for myself and cycling. My gorgeous dog is better than any meds.

OP
OP
buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans

Über Member
Since my 1st post on this matter I am exceptionally pleased to say that my health improvements are coming on in leaps and bounds, in fact only yesterday I was able to walk there and back to the garage which was carrying out the annual service and MOT in only an hour a combined distance of a fraction over 4 miles, whereas only 4 short days ago when I was still taking all the pills and potions I couldn't walk more than a couple of hundred yards before I started to suffer from chronic chest pains!
Tomorrow I will be making certain my beloved Shorter Rochford bike is spic and span and I then intend (weather permitting) to put more than a couple of miles under the wheels.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Quite a few...all antihistamines make me drowsy, even semi-paralytic.

Timolol eye drops gave me asthma (it's a common side-effect).

Latanoprost eye drops gave me enormous eyelashes (again, a common side-effect).

Dexamethasone eye drops gave me IOP of 32 mmHg (safe limit is 21).

Luckily, there were alternatives to all the above which didn't cause problems.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I had my collar bone plated almost 8 weeks ago they asked me if I'd like some codeine. I agreed (they didn't say: "would you like us to sell you some codeine") and duly began taking the tiny tabs. The first effect was total constipation and the second was a massive downer for an hour after taking the stuff when I felt absolutely miserable. So I stopped and carried on with good old paracetamol.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Terrible stuff, I'll never touch it again. Paracetamol, used correctly, works very well.

Mrs Gti was put on pregabalin for a back problem. When she stopped taking it she felt absolutely awful and spent a weekend in bed with debilitating nausea. Realised it was withdrawal symptoms so got the GP to prescribe it in 25mg tabs and used them gradually to reduce the dosage to 25mg a day before stopping. Horrible experience for her.

steverob

Guru
When I had my collar bone plated almost 8 weeks ago they asked me if I'd like some codeine. I agreed (they didn't say: "would you like us to sell you some codeine") and duly began taking the tiny tabs. The first effect was total constipation and the second was a massive downer for an hour after taking the stuff when I felt absolutely miserable. So I stopped and carried on with good old paracetamol.

I also had a bad reaction to the codeine I was prescribed when I smashed my collar bone in, but my side effect was projectile vomiting! I also gave up and went with a combo of paracetamol and ibuprofen - found that as both were meant to last four hours, I took one of the drugs two hours after the other to try and make it that I always had some sort of pain relief in the system. Seemed to work for me.

steverob

Guru
I found the prescription strength codeine gave me some very vivid dreams.
Nah, for vivid dreams you want anti-malarial medication - I was on atovaquone & proguanil - and those dreams were WEIRD.

Not nightmares either, there was nothing scary about them at all, it was like normal dreaming but just more intense - like dreaming in 3D and Technicolor when you'd only ever seen washed out 2D before is the only way I can explain it. Also usually my dreams are just random stuff, flitting from one scene to another one completely unrelated, but these seemed to have characters and plots and almost made sense at times!

You know how it's hard to remember what you'd just dreamed about as soon as you woke up; well these ones stuck with you for a good few hours afterwards - my wife and I both had very entertaining discussions over breakfast the next morning about our experiences (she got exactly the same symptoms as I did).

Globalti

Legendary Member
I go to Africa three or four times a year and never bother with the anti-malarial stuff and my British colleague and his family who live in Lagos never bother and haven't had malaria in 14 years living there. If you are out in de bush, sleeping in thatched huts or camping, definitely consider it but if you work or live in a city in air-conditioned buildings with closed windows, drive around in a car and take care to wear long sleeves and apply something with DEET when out at night you will be fine; the best thing is to avoid being bitten. Even if you do get bitten, it has to be the female of one of five species of mozzie and she has to have bitten somebody else with malaria so you'd be incredibly unlucky to get it from one bite.

There's a school of thought among expats that the medication messes you up long term and anyway it's better to know you've got malaria so you can get it treated. There are plenty of doctors who know how to do that in cities like Lagos.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
First two statins,cannot remember their names,a mate of mine actually threw his statins back at the Doctor.He had just had stents put in and he was having awful trouble with all the medicines.He found out which one it was that was upsetting him,the statin.He finally got put on EZITIMBE which is the one i know take.I also stopped taking FINASTERIDE it was making me depressed.i also sleep badly,but i am not going down the sleeping pill trail.

Top Bottom