Have you ever experienced noisy tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
I think that's what I'm getting at the moment.Its more of a humming noise that starts at around 50mph from the front and disappears at around 70.
Wheel bearings seem ok but the tyres are starting to wear on the inner side edges.They were cheap Chinese ditch finders to be honest.The tread is starting to look saw toothed or another way to describe it is that the tread pattern is starting to look like it's stepping from one thread block to the next.
I can't hear the humming noise on course road surfaces but on the real smooth stuff my ear really gets drawn to this slight humming/rumbling noise.
Tomorrow I'm getting them replaced as I starting to lose all trust in them.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They were cheap Chinese ditch finders to be honest.

Yes. And your answer is the above.

Had it on the Pug Tepee when I first got the car. Changing them for something much better solved the problem.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for replying.These tyres have done around 30k over the last 3 years.My car is quite a heavy old lump and does get through its tyre's.On the inner edge I can physically see the "saw tooth"appearance setting in and when i rub my hand along the inner edge I can feel very slightly raised areas.When I say slightly I really mean slightly.Its enough to put me off them though.I don't relish the thought of taking an excursion off a Welsh mountain pass and down the valley 🥴
The noise is not that noticeable but as I've had my car over 10 years now, you do get to know what sounds right and what doesn't.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get the tracking checked too. When was the last MOT, how’s the suspension?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Tracking is definitely something I'm planning on doing in coming weeks.I thought I would get the tyres replaced first.If the noise goes I can then safely say it was purely down to the cheap Chinese death rings.The slight wearing on the inside does however indicate the tracking/camber is not quite 100% though

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The slight wearing on the inside does however indicate the tracking/camber is not quite 100% though
This suggests they are "Toe out" thus the track rods need adjusting (best with with laser alignment). Camber wear is gradual from one side to the other not just on the edge.

.I thought I would get the tyres replaced first.
You would just ruin the new tyres. For the sake of £30 best to get the tracking adjusted on the same day. Most tyre fitters check it for free.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's often been touted that even quiet tyres when new get noisy as the age. Something to do with the carcase construction, softer rubber in the outside, harder rubber below. Softer rubber wear...harder rubber gets exposed.
Add uneven wear, worn components, etc etc...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not tyres but I had a noise like dodgy wheel bearings on my Fiat Ducato. Took a long time to find it was worn shock absorber bushes. New shocks fitted and noise vanished.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always found new tyres is one of the best thing you can do to a car. Maybe there is a placebo effect but they always drive so much smoother and quieter with new tyres.

Top Bottom