Have you ever experienced noisy tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
There used to be a concrete surfaced section of the M1 that caused tyre noise back in the early 1970s. The first time we drove it the droning noise had us wondering what was wrong with the car, but they put up warning signs about it eventually.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Michelin Cross Climates are surprisingly quiet. Blooming expensive though.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again,
Today I managed to get some new front tyres fitted and whilst there I had the tracking checked to which it was fine.
The tyre's however did look very odd indeed.Once off I gave them a good looking over and the way they had worn was very strange.Rubbing your hand over the circumference of them you could almost feel a wave affect going on and the inner edges were stepping between the tread blocks.. You could physically see all this if you looked close enough.
After they were fitted I took the car for a test drive and the difference was between night and day. It's now nice and quiet again.
Many thanks everyone for commenting and for the advice..
It's always appreciated 👍

Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
I’ve had this with 2 previous vans, on the rear wheels, but both were permanently fully loaded, but the drumming noise was horrendous, just as described like a wheel bearing was collapsing, I wonder if some suspension bushes/linkages are worn throwing the suspension geometry out of whack when being driven

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've never really had a bad experience with cheap budget tyres before in the 35 years of motoring except for these.Oh i tell a lie, back in the late 80s when I was a 2 stroke hooligan I fitted a cheap tyre to my Yamaha RD 350 LC.
It was called a Chin sin and it was bloody dangerous to say the least.
It must of been made of plastic the way it gripped the road.It didn't last a week before I got it changed for a Continental.
It was frightening,and if left I'm sure I would of ended up wrapping my self around a lamp post

Yes, 'back in the day', in the days of my first car, a Vauxhall Chevette

Plus;
1. A few years ago, when a front tyre got punctured on a FIAT Panda that we had
F-in-law decided that a new tyre wasn't required for it, as "It's only used locally"
So.... it ended up with a Goodyear Grand-Prix S, on a front rim
I'm sure it was on this one, not the '64 plate, that followed, which was the next model shape
SWMBO & myself, a long time ago, had an original shape Panda ('E plate', bought new)
YC61 GLK. 4.JPG

I'm not exactly certain how long the 'G-P S' been out of production, by that point, probably the early 90s??
It squealed, like a Yank tank, on any corner, at any speed, to the point of being embarrassing to be in/drive
Problem was solved, to some extent by swapping it to the rear (& shortly getting a new tyre)

2. I'd guess you'd call them noisy, by dint of the tread pattern
These were the choice on my 110 Hard-Top (300Tdi)
That photo was taken on Pendine Sands, in 2000(?)
Sadly, I'm given to understand that all (non-official, or authorised) driving is banned on the beach now

L453 KVH. Wales. Pendine Sands 1 (June 2000).jpg

I had a full set of mud terrain tyres on my van now they were noisy! Have AT now much quieter!
I had the BF Goodrich All-Terrains, on my last Landie, they were fine

At the same time, 2 friends had other tyres on theirs
If they were in convoy with me, I could hear either set over the Td5

The first was a One-Ton, on 9.00 'bar-grips' (still with the original 2.6 6-cylinder engine)
Dan, still has that!
Defender. S50 RAT. & NBK 148G.JPG

The other was a Series 1 (1956, 86"), with a Perkins diesel, running on (7.50) Firestone SAT's
This isn't it, this is a 80" Tickford Station Wagon, but.... it does show how superbly they suit a Landie
(I've seen them on a Range Rover too...)
dds29dfgh123dgv.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Ah, the old bar grip tyres on Land-rover....
1976, we used to survey Notts prospective coalfields with them, the drone from those tyres when on tarmac was ...memorable.

Jameshow

Veteran
I had the BF Goodrich All-Terrains, on my last Landie, they were fine

At the same time, 2 friends had other tyres on theirs
If they were in convoy with me, I could hear either set over the Td5

The first was a One-Ton, on 9.00 'bar-grips' (still with the original 2.6 6-cylinder engine)
Dan, still has that!
View attachment 706799

The other was a Series 1 (1956, 86"), with a Perkins diesel, running on (7.50) Firestone SAT's
This isn't it, this is a 80" Tickford Station Wagon, but.... it does show how superbly they suit a Landie
(I've seen them on a Range Rover too...)
View attachment 706801

Mine were cooper MT irrc.

Now on Yokohama geolander and Toyo open country much quieter but not much use off road!!

Top Bottom