Have You Ever Had to Call For a Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes, stuff happens that you can not prepare. I never thought it would happen to me as I am very self sufficient. But over 150,000 miles, it has happened a couple times. I don't worry about chains, wheels, spokes, shifters, derailleurs but a tire got me!

A buddy and I did a ride up into the mountains and headed up Cajon Pass. I had used Serfas tires for some time and had good luck. I was about 30 miles from home and not much around. I could not get my wife on the phone but could sent a text. My headed down the mountain and as well called the number I had given him to call, please!

I wasn't sure what happened as it was a fairly new tire. I never go on climbs with new tires so I had put at least 100 miles on them to make sure they are properly seated etc before flying down a mountain at 30+

Well, this fairly new tire just shredded along the outer circumference of the tire. The road was a bit rough but wow! Turns out later a second Serfas tire I had purchased fell apart as well. I bought another just to test it and it fell apart. Store owner refunded my money via warranty. That was the last time I used that brand. That was a few years ago, maybe 2010 ???

But that dang tire left me stranded, had to call for the support vehicle, my wife ha ha!

I had her pose for the shot cause no way is she fixing it!

support1.JPG

The second time, it was a ride after a steep climb the previous day. Easy 45 mile ride on the bike trail. But pushing hard up one of the underpasses, my frame snapped at the chain stay. Looks like a point used to shave weight as there is a cut out at that point.

I tried to ride it back 10 miles but it wasn't happening. The frame was flexing so much with each pedal, I didn't want the entire to snap under me and maybe cause some serious physical damage to my body.

I even tried to push back like a scooter but that wasn't happening either. Turns out a friend took my keys and went to get my truck for me.

Well that really sucked! But the biggest heartbreak for me was that I loved that Lemond. Best sweetest most comfy ride I've had over the past 23 years. Even more comfy than my full carbon. The Lemond was partial carbon and aluminum mix. But a sweet ride, I miss it!

crack1.JPG
crack2.JPG

I loved this ride!

102710F_zpsmdv8bola.jpg

So what is your tale????

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The only time I’ve had to call for a pick up was when I broke a spoke in my rear wheel, the wheels are lightweight and have very few spokes, with one broken spoke the wheel was pringled and rubbing on the frame so ride abandoned. I have several friends with vans, large estate cars and SUV’s but nobody was available so my wife picked me and my best bike up in her little Fiat 500!

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I had a puncture on a very windy Hebridean road whilst on my way to catch the ferry to Skye.

A b*gg*r to fix in those conditions.

I didn't call for it, but a helpful local lady scooped me n my steed up in her car, and drove me the last sixteen miles to the ferry port.

Filled in the time before the sailing, buying her coffee, and chatting farming in extreme conditions - she is a crofter out on the West Coast.

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

The only time I’ve had to call for a pick up was when I broke a spoke in my rear wheel, the wheels are lightweight and have very few spokes, with one broken spoke the wheel was pringled and rubbing on the frame so ride abandoned. My wife picked me and my best bike up in her little Fiat 500!

Exactly the reason why I ride conventional 32 spoke wheels. I had a bud pop a spoke on a low count wheel. I made the proper adjustments so that he could make it back 10 miles. It was fine, had the spoke replaced at the shop then the wheel reworked. I didn't like the way the wheels acted with few spokes and high tension so I play it safe. I think you made the right call, I wouldn't ride back myself but it's his money!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only ever called once (if you exclude a couple of ambulance trips).

Exploded a rear rim going round a roundabout, on a fixie. I was cycling the long way home from work and was the furthest point (10 miles at this stage) from home. Rim exploded out the side wall (worn) and the bike was unrideable.

It's OK, my car's got the roof rack on. Wife came out, and I realised the 'clamps' on the rack were locked, and the key was on my keys at home. Both kids were with her, so it meant removing the wheels and mudguards to get the bike in the car boot. Thank goodness it wasn't a 650b trail bike !

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

Only ever called once (if you exclude a couple of ambulance trips).

Exploded a rear rim going round a roundabout, on a fixie. I was cycling the long way home from work and was the furthest point (10 miles at this stage) from home. Rim exploded out the side wall (worn) and the bike was unrideable.

Do you know what caused that? The rim?

I gave my bud a set of Michelin tires once. He installed them on his rim. Couple days later, something exploded. His rim was thrashed at the seam.

He was upset and blamed me and the tires.

D

Deleted member 1258

A call to my good lady wife to get my stepson to pick me up from Warwick hospital after a wasp had ended my ride prematurely putting me in A & E.

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

A call to my good lady wife to get my stepson to pick me up from Warwick hospital after a wasp had ended my ride prematurely putting me in A & E.

Ouch! I was descending a mountain road at 35 MPH when a bee stuck me right between the eyes while rolling through a swarm. Boy my face swelled. I went to the pharmacy to find something to bring down the swelling.

The pharmacist suggested cortizone cream. Worked well. She then told me that I should have stopped and put ice on it right away to stop the poison from spreading. Yeah, like I carry an ice chest with me 20 miles up a mountain road. :giggle:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
No one to call, so no :sad:

kipster

Guru
On my first sportive, didn't have a tyre boot, completely split the tyre. Assistance car couldn't find me so after waiting for 90 minutes I called my wife to pick me up. Luckily it was local. Only other time was when I was knocked off by a van and various things on the bike stopped working, shifters, rear derailleur, rear wheel etc.. Had to call my wife after my son came off and we thought he'd broke his collar bone. I carried on riding.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes. Aged about 12 or 13. I punctured about 10 miles from home. My dad was really annoyed, I seem to remember he was suffering from a recurrence of one of his rugby injuries at the time, frozen shoulder or something. Never again since.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Twice in two days last month when I had several punctures caused by a tiny sliver of glass buried deep in a tyre where my fingers couldn't feel it but the inner tube could once everything had stretched and settled. Luckily I was near home both times.

OP
OP
M

MrBeanz

Snapped a rear axle, fortunately only a couple of miles from home.

Fairly difficult to do a running repair. :sad:

I snapped an axle once. I was on a mountain road, luckily a short out and back. I had to climb 2 miles to get to the downhill section of the return. I could not figure out why the climb was so hard. After the ride I realized my tire was rubbing against the chainstay. That was the hardest 2 miles I have ever climbed. Now I am much wiser.

Top Bottom