Have you ever thought of building your own bike friendly campervan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you ever thought of building your own bike friendly motorhome or campervan so that you can explore new rides far further afield?

I built my own LWB luxury conversion of a Renault Master panel van that has room for our two bikes inside, in which we have explored endless miles of the UK and Europe.

It isn't very hard to undertake your own conversion just as long as you have some basic DIY skills. It can and is a bit of a knee knocker when you cut your 1st windows into the once immaculate sides of your van, but once under way it is amazing how quickly and cheaply you can create a truly brilliant home from home that can take you both far and wide and that drives almost like a car.

If any of you might have just an modicum of interest, then it might be worth your while to pop along to the very friendly and knowledgeable diymotorhome.co.uk where I know there will be a very warm welcome awaiting.

Drago

Legendary Member
I read the title and thought of this.

car6-1024x611.jpg

I'm not sure I'd ever do it but I've explored the possibility, figuring out how I'd run electrics, pipes and what equipment I'd have. I'd probably buy the furniture pre-built from someone who specializes in race vans, so rear bed high up with space underneath for the bikes etc... However, I have no space to do it and no time or money but having owned campervans in the past, I do fancy another.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'd love to have my van racked out for longer ventures . I already have it part done for TT's .
I'd love to see what you have done .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's something that we're hankering after. Too many pennies at the moment!
My brother bought one a few months ago. His tandem rolls in the back and sits between the beds in transit. It goes out for the night under a cover, locked to the van.

Zimbob

Über Member
[QUOTE 4967730, member: 9609"]you left your van outside :eek:

View attachment 374889 [/QUOTE]

I know, I know :smile: I've put in a wee sink, cupboards and gravity-fed water carrier with tap, and my cooking kit along one side, bunk on t'other so a bitty tight for space...

To be fair, my bicycle hates being cooped up, much prefers the outdoor lifestyle :becool:

Zimbob

Über Member
[QUOTE 4967745, member: 9609"]you will need to get the inside of your roof lined, that will drip badly, more so when its cold.

I love going away overnighting in the van, do all my hill walking out of it. I have had plenty nights in it when its been below -10. Its not as bad as you might think[/QUOTE]

Aye, I'm on it insulation-wise :smile: It's not as bad as I feared so far, and much less condensation than my lady friend's Partner, not sure whether that's down to the two people producing more, or the fact her's has a lot more glass (car-based)

I'm loving it so far, got my Espresso-maker and cooking kit, all home comforts... It's great to pop off for the weekend/overnight, opens up a lot of new cycling too, and I like the self-sufficient aspect of it, and the independence.

Minus 10C - you're made of stern stuff! I may end up being a fair-weather camper :laugh:

Top Bottom