Have you skidded on 'tramline tile' surfaces ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@mjr ... this isn't worth getting into an argument over. I am sure that someone will come along and be able to give us the rules regulations and usage for all kinds of places we can cycle, but to be honest I am unable to recall any times I have had a problem with tactile paving so as far as I am concerned this is a non-issue and not worth debating further.
Feel free not to debate it any further, then.

Personally, I've had my tyres slip on the tactile paving a few times, because they never seem to be built with non-slip substances. A bit stupid, considering they're for the benefit of those with impaired sight. I approach them with caution always.

Ive never skidded on tram lines a level crossing took me down once :rolleyes:

As to tactile paving, I tend to avoid shared use farcilities so don't often come across them when cycling but other than the momentary inconvenience of having to slow down I cant recall a problem.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Personally, I've had my tyres slip on the tactile paving a few times
Have your tyres slipped because you're putting power down as you cross (as opposed to momentary freewheeling), or because you're braking (as opposed to braking beforehand (perhaps, if your speed is too high) and then momentarily releasing the levers as you cross this longitudinal tactile tiling?
Please let's not call these 'tramlines' - those who have to negotiate them know how careful you have to be on those. If we followed this naming philosophy I suppose we could call the perpendicular tactile paving (see image in OP) 'cattle grids'.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes, I've skidded on them a few times but never come off. It's mostly in winter when I've got the studded tyres on which don't seem to grip the edge of the ridge as well as a regular tyre. Nowadays I tend to use the road rather than cycle paths, but if I do come across them I like othrrs have mentioned nip over to the pedestrian side to cross the transverse ones. Or I line myself up carefully and prepare to counter any wobbles.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Please let's not call these 'tramlines' - those who have to negotiate them know how careful you have to be on those. If we followed this naming philosophy I suppose we could call the perpendicular tactile paving (see image in OP) 'cattle grids'.
Remarkably, "tramlines" is the official name for those tiles. The perpendicular ones are called "ladders" IIRC.

Oh and I've slipped because I hit them slightly off-straight and I'm usually braking because if I don't, I'll never turn in time to avoid the lamppost the flaming things are trying to railroad me into.

I think regular bobble tiles are used on shared ones. The tramlines only seem to be used on segregated parallel walking+cycling ones.
Not that it really matters but a segregated shared use path is still a shared use path/ farcility!

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you skidded on tramline tiles? I mean these things, which are sometimes put across cycle tracks where a footway starts alongside (picture by hesterkw, Copyright: CC Attribution-Share Alike):
cyclestreets56201-size640.jpg

In a discussion on other things, a few of us have said that they're unnecessary hazards. At least one person seems to think they're essential for visually-impaired people, but I think that cycle tracks should be treated like carriageways and it would suffice for footway crossings to be marked by bobble tiles in the footway only.

So, have you skidded on them? Have you even crashed? I'd like to collect examples that explain to people why tramlines aren't good places for cycling. Sorry if this brings back any painful memories for anyone.
There's something missing.

Jody

Stubborn git
You can't be serious. The tiles in that first picture are in no way hazardous apart from the one that needs fixing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tramlines and ladders it is, then, not to be confused with corduroy.
[DETR: Guidance on the use of Tactile Paving Surfaces]
20 minutes I won't get back. Chances of anything changing = nil.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You can't be serious. The tiles in that first picture are in no way hazardous apart from the one that needs fixing.
If on a MB on vaguely knobbly tyres I think they're ok, I was fine (on a dry day) on Land Cruisers, but my marathons seem to find them slippy in the wet.
On spiked ice tyres they're a definite no no.

Jody

Stubborn git
If on a MB on vaguely knobbly tyres I think they're ok, I was fine (on a dry day) on Land Cruisers, but my marathons seem to find them slippy in the wet.
On spiked ice tyres they're a definite no no.

How big are the ridges? Photo might be deceptive but they only look to be about 10mm

Top Bottom