Have you skidded on 'tramline tile' surfaces ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You can't be serious. The tiles in that first picture are in no way hazardous apart from the one that needs fixing.
that's my thought... but according to a handful of members, they're a lethal death trap!

Re the discussion, I do wonder if it's to do with weight, with lighter riders having more of an issue. I come to this conclusion from seeing a similar thing with Master SHK's micro scooter, when he was first scooting on it any small surface inconsistency in his path and the wheels would stick and he'd go head over handlebars, but now he's older/heavier this doesn't happen anymore. I don't think his riding style has changed, so imagine it's to do with weight/momentum on the wheels.
I certainly have more issues than Mr SHK when it comes to (eg) kerbs which aren't dropped flush, partly as I don't bunny hop (ever) but I suspect partly because I'm light enough to be derailed where he's heavier...?

winjim

Smash the cistern
How about this @mjr ? Cycle path in beige with blister paving indicating nudge style* crossing in grey to match the surrounding pedestrianised area. Dark edging to cycle path has a low kerb. Dark transverse paving to warn cyclists of upcoming hazard, there's also a large bend just out of shot.

University of Sheffield campus masterplan currently under construction.

*I'm calling it nudge style as obviously it's not mandatory to use it but they'd prefer it if people did. It leads to a car park behind that barrier.

20161103_135638.jpg

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Re the discussion, I do wonder if it's to do with weight, with lighter riders having more of an issue.
You may be right: I'm fairly light, riding relatively light bikes for their tyre widths (yes, even the Dutch one). I'll have to take the rather heavy ice bike (what I sometimes call the Tractor) over them a few times and see how it feels.

How about this @mjr ? Cycle path in beige with blister paving indicating nudge style* crossing in grey to match the surrounding pedestrianised area. Dark edging to cycle path has a low kerb. Dark transverse paving to warn cyclists of upcoming hazard, there's also a large bend just out of shot.
The colouring/tactile layout looks good, although I'm often a bit suspicious of paving for cycle tracks... that said, the Netherlands seems to use paving for cycle tracks in town centres quite often.

The tiles I've never had an issue with. Actual tramlines have caused me to come off earlier this year....quite painful.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The colouring/tactile layout looks good, although I'm often a bit suspicious of paving for cycle tracks... that said, the Netherlands seems to use paving for cycle tracks in town centres quite often.
I guess it depends if they keep up with the maintenance on it.

U

User482

Anyway:

Me, my back wheel slid out when trying to turn
My daughter: twice, both times the front wheel slid when trying to turn

It's fine in the dry but extremely slippery in the wet.

sarahale

Über Member
I can feel the tire move a little but I wouldn't call it a skid, the little ridges keep the tire in line after all. I'm very light and that's on my road bike, mtb I don't even notice them.

I go over two every day and not fallen off so far, but there's always tomorrow now I've said I don't have a problem with them...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Re the discussion, I do wonder if it's to do with weight, with lighter riders having more of an issue.
I'm quite hefty, and my bikes are tanks. with at least one loaded pannier.
On saying that, apart from the back wheel sliding in the wet, I had never actually had an off. I think a roadie on skinnies would have a problem, but then they would by large not be using a cycle path - I think.

Top Bottom