Having a nightmare joining a club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I come from a sporting background having played rugby since I was 10. Due to dislocating my shoulder numerous times I've decided to retire and have taken up cycling but joining a cycling club seems almost impossible. I've emailed clubs asking how to join but got no response in 2 weeks. I've now resorted to looking them up on facebook and send messages to members asking if I can join. I feel like the outsider kid at school who just wants to be part of a group lol. Don't know what this thread can achieve but maybe someone from the co. Derry area is on here and can steer me in the right direction to good clubs.

buggi

Bird Saviour
that sounds a bit crap. why not ask at your local bike shop if they do rides? i know my LBS does.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cycling clubs are often a bit archaic (you still post paper forms through the post, with a cheque inside to join some clubs, and indeed to enter races) and might not check emails, sad but true! Turn up to a ride!

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Ulster/Club-List.aspx

From memory: Carn Wheelers/Bann Wheelers/Causeway CC/Spires CC/Foyle CC/Roe Valley are all "active" haven't seen or heard much about the others.

I've tried contacting 2 of the clubs you mention as I'm more Mid Ulster based. Still no answer via email or their contact form on their website. Really starting to annoy me now and makes me think that they must be like closed groups where outsiders aren't welcome. I'm naturally competitive so think I'm missing out by cycling on my own as I only have my times to beat.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've tried contacting 2 of the clubs you mention as I'm more Mid Ulster based. Still no answer via email or their contact form on their website. Really starting to annoy me now and makes me think that they must be like closed groups where outsiders aren't welcome. I'm naturally competitive so think I'm missing out by cycling on my own as I only have my times to beat.
Find a phone number or facebook. Joining clubs and club websites have moved on with the times due to the ease of social media.

IIRC you can ride as a guest a few times before deciding to join a club. A process which is a pain in the ass to undo if a particular club isn't for you. (requires letters of release to cycling ireland and a bit of faff)

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Not having any luck with facebook, seems the club I really want to join rarely updates facebook page and members dont seem to post very often. Can't find any info on their website about club runs so it's starting to feel like trying to infiltrate a secret society. I saw a few guys out cycling the other day while I was at work who were wearing the club kit, I was even thinking of going over when one of them stopped but he rode off again lol.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What club are you looking at?

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
hadnt emailed them, just filled in a form on their website but got no response twice. Will send them an email now, thanks. Will probably see some of them at this weekends causeway coast challenge if all else fails.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I know how you feel. I messaged on FB a brand new cycle club, near to me (been operating since May this year) to ask if I can just turn up to join one of their rides and if so, where do they meet and at what time please. haven't heard a thing so I'll not bother then.

Top Bottom