Having a nightmare joining a club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
How did you get on with the club hunting Rich?

I'm making inroads but it's still like infiltrating a secret organisation. I managed to track down a member through facebook who gave me the mobile number of the secretary to call. I've tried calling three different times over the week and at different times of the day but no one ever picks up and it never goes to voicemail. It's infuriating to say the least. I'm doing fine on my own if nothing comes of it but I'm stunned at how hard it is to join a cycle club in this part of the country.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Poor showing on their part. I joined Team Madigan on EntryCentral!

If all else fails, could always start your own :biggrin:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I was planning to do the Sperrin Challenge last weekend as you can turn up on the day and enter but a few days before my wife informed me that we had to go to one of the families kids birthday parties on Saturday and would be staying in Belfast all weekend. That was my opportunity to meet loads of local club members, I even saw the pics in the paper today and there were dozens of people there from local clubs. Talk about things going against me. I'm off to do Lap the Lough next weekend as are you I saw. If I don't get a response from someone in the club that day I'm nudging one of them into the lough on the ride around it :cursing:

T.M.H.N.E.T

That'll get their attention :biggrin:

Yep, I know people who know people and got a free entry(TBC) even if not, I'm going anyway. Public roads and all that.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm making inroads but it's still like infiltrating a secret organisation. I managed to track down a member through facebook who gave me the mobile number of the secretary to call. I've tried calling three different times over the week and at different times of the day but no one ever picks up and it never goes to voicemail. It's infuriating to say the least. I'm doing fine on my own if nothing comes of it but I'm stunned at how hard it is to join a cycle club in this part of the country.
No.....it might be slightly disheartening, and it might be a tad inconvenient, but it might just be that the person you're calling is away on his or her holidays and is not au fait with the wonder of voicemail.

compo

Veteran
The OP is not alone. On 3 August I contacted a local club (Crescent Wheelers, Harlow) for more information and have heard nothing. That is the second club who have ignored me. Seems to be the done thing.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
UPDATE: I had a brainwave to actually text the number instead of calling it as all the kids do these days. I got a reply in an hour and he asked me to meet up with their group ride next Wednesday. Result!
I don't know what the average speed of the group will be or any group etiquette so will just have to see how it goes. Still contemplating nudging the old bugger into the hedge for making it so difficult for me to join their club.:laugh: Over 2 months it took to get a response.

T.M.H.N.E.T

If it's wet mudguards - if chances of darkness or poor visibility take lights

Don't half wheel

Take a turn on the front, movements should be smooth with no surging.

Call potholes/obstructions

Enjoy :smile:

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
If it's wet mudguards - if chances of darkness or poor visibility take lights
Don't half wheel
Take a turn on the front, movements should be smooth with no surging.
Call potholes/obstructions
Enjoy :smile:

It'll be clear as it's 6.30pm and the weather forecast says it's dry that day so no worries about the mudguards. I guess as I don't have any I will need to invest in a set for winter. More bloody money spent on the bike the wife will say lol. I don't know if it's one big group or a few groups of different standards but I'll soon find out. I assume my average of 17.5mph on my own will not be too bad in a group?

T.M.H.N.E.T

If there's a big turnout they might split into groups at the meeting point, you'll pick up after a few runs who the fast men are and know to avoid them if they split.

That average isn't shoddy at all. If anything you should be more than comfortable in a group.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just reading through this thread and i think the problem here is the OP's expectations. Not unreasonably he wants a response to his enquiry but clubs don't really work that way. The best one can expect is "turn up for the Sunday run" - if you're lucky you'll be told the distance and speed first!!

Cycle clubs, IME, are not especially efficient organisations and unlikely to respond to letters or emails. My current club publishes an events calendar, works really well and is the height of efficiency round here!! All other communication is Facebook or word of mouth.

The word club might be the problem. The three clubs I've been a member of are pretty loose organisations

The way to join a club is turn up at the meet point 15 minutes early. Ask the ride leader if you can tag along, if you like the riders join the club. Most clubs allow newbies 3-5 rides before they must join, the number usually depends on the clubs insurance. Alternatively find out when / where club night is and pop along.

Cycle clubs aren't really exclusive but I can understand to a potential newbie why, looking from the outside, some appear to be.

You 17.5mph will be fine, it will probably move up to 20 in a group!! As fir etiquette, sit in the middle of the group, observe the hand signals and learn them, ask if you don't understand, and keep with the pace.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Give what a rest? I'm talking about my experience. You could just as easily have said "the fast riders" or "the fast people".
Yeah so was I. The 5 or 6 women I regularly cycle with are well aware who the "fast men"(A) group are and generally avoid them. Nothing to do with them being women though.

You're trying to turn this into another "how men look at women" thing and to be honest. I really have no interest in discussing it with you. The fact you suggest terms I could have said only signals your intent.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Tiny for me the more women involved in anything the better as it changes the atmosphere. My previous club would split about 60:40 men and women on a ride which was excellent.

My current club seems to only have 10% female membership and they are rarely seen on a club ride. Whenever a lady turns up I make a point of chatting but then I'd do the same for a male newbie.

Top Bottom