Having to keep pedaling all the time otherwise chain goes slack - Help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffee_king

Hi there
I'm afraid I don't know much about bikes, but my girlfriends bike has developed an issue that I hope someone can help me out with.

You have to keep pedaling the bike otherwise the chain goes slack and the derailleur moves towards the front of the bike and it all starts to get a bit caught up.
I asked a friend and he said he thought it might be the freehub body.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance.

oldroadman

Veteran
Hi there
I'm afraid I don't know much about bikes, but my girlfriends bike has developed an issue that I hope someone can help me out with.

You have to keep pedaling the bike otherwise the chain goes slack and the derailleur moves towards the front of the bike and it all starts to get a bit caught up.
I asked a friend and he said he thought it might be the freehub body.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance.
Freewheel/freehub not working properly. Probably bunged up with muck. Solution - strip and clean, or if corroded, replace.

Tim Hall

What is the name of said appropriate tool please?
If it's a freehub, you'll need a freehub lockring tool, chain whip and (usually) a big allen key. If it's a freewheel you'll need the appropriate freewheel removal tool and plenty of muscle. For either option you'll need a socket or spanner to fit the tool.

See the Sainted Sheldon for the difference between freehub and freewheel.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If it's a dead freewheel that needs removing, you might save yourself a lot of swearing (and possibly some spilt blood) by getting the LBS to remove it. Screw on freewheels are a pain to remove as they are continually tightened while you are riding them.

A simple first try might be to spray WD40 into the freewheel itself and leaving it to soak for a bit as it might loosen anything that's getting the pawls stuck.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I had to clamp the freewheel tool in a vice and turn the wheel.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Check your jockey wheels as well. if they are not turning freely or the chain has come off one then it will make the chain go slack when you stop pedalling. The most likely cause though is the freehub or freewheel being sticky as said.

oldroadman

Veteran
Good thought, jockey wheels are always worth a check and clean out, or simply replacing. Makes a difference. As the current thinking goes, marginal gains!

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
My thought- you've put some grubby oil on the chain instead of proper lube. Nothing to be ashamed of.

It did that to me when I used baby oil on mine one time many years ago.
Pwahaha true story

U

User6179

Lift back wheel of ground and spin pedals , if the pedals keep spinning with wheel then its the freehub/wheel.

Top Bottom