Having to wear a helmet to do a sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
[QUOTE 1170308"]
Indeed, nice bit of your scalp and cranium all over the road.
[/quote]

Broken skin heals a helluva lot faster than a damaged disc. I'd rather have had a severe scalp bleed (pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever).

Sam

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
merely demonstrating that there is at least one cyclist who has gone from wearing a helmet to not wearing one after being injured while wearing it.

Sam

There is another person who posts on Cycle Chat who also has first hand of rotational injury just as you described through wearing a helmet, however they don't often get drawn into the helmet debate threads.

adscrim

Veteran
It is of course possible for a helmet to have a positive effect on rotational forces just as it can have a negative effect; highlighting the problem with most of the studies that are quoted for and against - no two accidents can be said to be the same because they did not happen under standardised conditions.

Having said that, most of the 'evidence' that is used in research would appear to be suggesting, to the researchers at least (such as last years study by Hynd where currently available information was used), that helmets are the way forward and I wouldn't be too surprised to see helmet compulsion introduced in the not too distant future.

Helmet wearer, non-compulsionist.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[QUOTE 1170315"]
Have we reached an agreement yet?
[/quote]

Yep, where do you want your thudguard posted to ?

No. Your agenda is that you don't want to wear a cycle helmet. As a result you are prepared to repeatedly trot out an argument that you don't actually believe in and which everyone else recognizes as specious.

You have absolutely no idea whatsoever about whether I do (or do not) wear a helmet - so that is a very silly post indeed.

So.... Do you wear a helmet?

Totally irrelevant.....

ferret fur

Totally irrelevant.....

I laid a bet with myself and just won. There was of course no chance that you would answer the question.

Actually it isn't totally irrelevant because if you don't wear a helmet then I am justified in questioning the tendentious manner in which you conduct the argument. If you do wear a helmet it would be interesting to see why you do given what you have repeatedly said.

Tell you what I'll let you into a little secret that I haven't told anyone. I do wear a helmet.

The reason it is irrelevant is simple....

I wear a full face Snell rated helmet with no snag points, following the suggestions of the "rounder smoother safer" campaign in the US.

Or do I?

Will you ever be able to prove otherwise?

ferret fur

[QUOTE 1170327"]
Do you think helmets save lives FF?
[/quote]

Yes, but I have no idea how many:
But less than the pro-compulsion lobby think. More than the anti-helmeteers would give credit for.

Top Bottom