Having to wear a helmet to do a sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I haven't either, if that helps.

I was still trying to work out if the whole world was just my fevered imagination, but could I come up with something as weird as 3BM?

[QUOTE 1170324"]
Cunobelin is the founder, and only, member of the Lee On Solent Elmet Renegades Cycle Club. He has a special helmet which he bought at the Barnardos charity shop in Stubbington, he has painted it the same colour as his hair,at least it would be if his hair was blue, complete with wavy effect.

There is a regular club meeting in the meeting room at the Bluebird cafe, although this rarely happens as he doesn't get home from work until after the cafe has shut.
[/quote]
:bicycle:

The NHS is a hard task master!

PpPete

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1170324"]
Cunobelin is the founder, and only, member of the Lee On Solent Elmet Renegades Cycle Club. He has a special helmet which he bought at the Barnardos charity shop in Stubbington, he has painted it the same colour as his hair,at least it would be if his hair was blue, complete with wavy effect.

There is a regular club meeting in the meeting room at the Bluebird cafe, although this rarely happens as he doesn't get home from work until after the cafe has shut.
[/quote]

And therein lies the problem.... my kids tell me that the Penguins cafe, two doors down from the Bluebird, has the better ice creams. They should know, their grandmother takes them to both !

jimboalee

[QUOTE 1170343"]
Without wanting to go far off topic.......

I went for a curry one night with a mate, in the curry house on Lee on Solent 'pier'. Now we were a bit pissed, and when his arrived he dished up the rice, added the curry.... then the waiter arrived with a plate :ohmy: He had dished his food straight onto the tablecloth :blush: They were very good about it and saw the funny side.

Nice curry house though.
[/quote]

Plate,,, table cloth?? Blimey, that's posh.

It's suppose to arrive at the table in a Hindustan Ambassador ( Morris Oxford if not available in UK ) hub cap WITHOUT rice but with a naan the size of a skateboard ( size two. Size one is a frisbee and size three is a wakeboard ).
Knives and forks don't exist, you've got fingers, haven't you?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very interesting case........

However it will simply be dismissed by the compulsionistas - you are not allowed to talk about the shortcomings in helmet design and how they can be improved!
And of course someone will pop up to triumphantly exclaim how he has just beaten himself over the head with a mallet while wearing a helmet and has suffered nothing more than mild concussion, then invite you to do the same on your bare head...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Joe.... and Cunobelin

I'm (usually) a helmet wearer, but absolutely, always, and firmly a non-compulsionist. I just don't think you are doing the anti-compulsionist argument any good with those last two posts. They come across like you both have massive chips on one (or both) shoulders....

Oh yes... and I fully support all discussion of how we can get helmet safety standards improved.

TrevorM

Interesting indeed. It's encouraging to see cracks appearing at this level in the 'helmets save lives' nonsense.

Based on this case it's probably only a matter of time before a cyclist with this type of injury sues the Australian government for putting their life at risk with this law against medical evidence.

It's given me an idea (going all the way back to the topic of this thread). If, like me, you are anti-compulsion then write to the organisers of each event you enter where helmets are compulsary with something like....

"You should be aware that here is a legitimate debate being waged by international medical and transportation experts regarding the safety and risks associated with helmet use. In particular there may be greater risk of brain damage from ''diffuse external injury'' (cite the appropriate studies). The purpose of this letter is to make you aware that by making helmet use compulsary you may be exposing participants, including myself, to a greater risk of injury. Should this occur, as you have been notified of the risks in advance, my lawyers will be in contact."

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Joe.... and Cunobelin

I'm (usually) a helmet wearer, but absolutely, always, and firmly a non-compulsionist. I just don't think you are doing the anti-compulsionist argument any good with those last two posts. They come across like you both have massive chips on one (or both) shoulders....

Oh yes... and I fully support all discussion of how we can get helmet safety standards improved.
We have no chips on our shoulders Porkypete, I would defend anyone's right to wear a helmet and I have never criticised anyone who does. What irritates those of us who chose not to wear one is the significant minority who are either in favour of compulsion or come out with emotive moral blackmail to try and force everyone to do the same as them.

Live and let live brothers.

Top Bottom