Having trouble with Tubless Rim and a Continental Gatorskin Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hello.

I cannot for the life of me get a new 25c Gatorskin on my Giant PR2 Wheel.

The wheel came setup as Tubless, with Gavia tyres. The rear needs replacing so went for a Conti Gatorskin.

Even using my Crank Brothers Speedier Lever plus other levers - just won't go on.

Any advice appreciated.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you got one side on or not that far? You have pushed the bead right down into the dwell of the rim?

Some tubeless tyres just don't fit on some rims. My first port of call would be to increase the tension on the wheel to absolute maximum, and try again. A good wheelbuilder will be able to do this.

However, you're probably not that dedicated or experimental, just use a different brand of tyre.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Gatorskins aren't tubeless ready tires though? They are a very stiff tyre to get on a lot of rims - trying to fit to a tubeless ready rim might just be worse

Gatorskins aren't tubeless ready tires though? They are a very stiff tyre to get on a lot of rims - trying to fit to a tubeless ready rim might just be worse
Aha, I failed my comprehension test again. Nevertheless, the same advice applies, up the tension in the wheel (to make it smaller) or, get other tyres.

A non-TL tyre could be tough to get on, have you cleaned the tyre and soaped it ?

Last 2 sets i've done (GP5000TL) have gone on without the need for levers, plenty of soapy water and just slid on, also easier seating afterwards.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Answers -
It is so nearly on, just the last side edge.
Wheel is tubeless ready and was using GAVIA tubless setup before
No, have not used soap.

D

Deleted member 26715

Make sure the bit that won't go on is 180 degrees from where you first started & at that point the bead is right down in the center of the rim.

IBarrett

Über Member
Make sure the entire bit you've got on is in the dip in the centre of the wheel to give you as much spare as possible.
Fairy liquid on the rim edge and the inside lip of the tyre
Put on some leather work gloves - welders gloves are ideal
Roll the tyre over the edge steadily working your way to the last little bit. At this point you start cursing and swearing, heaving and trying to tear the skin from your palms.
Pop!! and Bob is your uncle.

Now, what are you going to do when you get a puncture out in the boonies somewhere?

Contis are an absolute nightmare. I was given some GP5000TL tubeless tyres, for my Mavic Tubeless rims. They won’t go on, they’re just too small. I’m actually not bothered, as I really don’t rate tubeless on a road bike, but it would be nice if there was a bit more agreement between wheel manufacturers, and tyre manufacturers about tolerances. And I personally don’t rate Continental tyres very highly either, I’ve never had a good one. I fear you may be on a hiding to nothing trying to get those tyres over that rim.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Make sure the bit that won't go on is 180 degrees from where you first started & at that point the bead is right down in the center of the rim.

This ^^^^ work round the rim, pushing the tyre bed into the deep well of the tubeless rim. You may need to do a few times , after each time get more tyre bead over the rim lip. The last bit should then go relatively easily by hand.

Top Bottom