Having trouble with Tubless Rim and a Continental Gatorskin Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I can confirm that getting new gatorskins on some tubeless-ready rims can be a nightmare, and I spent an hour at it the first time with a Shimano rim. It takes endless patience combined with all the usual tricks, but it does eventually go on.
The better news is that used gatorskins seem to stretch a little and slip on more easily, so I have my next set already in the shed and fitted to an old rim to prestretch them.
The other answer of course is to choose your rims more carefully, but you never know that the first time.

Will Spin

Über Member
If you have another non tubeless wheel lying around/on another bike put the new tyre on this wheel first, pump it up hard and leave it for a day. Take it off and try fitting it on the tubeless ready rim. It should be easier to fit after this.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
And that's why I'm sticking to tubed tyres for now......

….Too much hassle.:banghead::cursing:
I think I'll wait 'till they get their wheel and tyre sizes standardised so that any tubeless tyre fits on any tubeless ready rim.

I'm not going to hold my breath though..............I'd go blue.:laugh:

Last edited:

iluvmybike

Über Member
And that's why I'm sticking to tubed tyres for now......

….Too much hassle.:banghead::cursing:
I think I'll wait 'till they get their wheel and tyre sizes standardised so that any tubeless tyre fits on any tubeless ready rim.

I'm not going to hold my breath though..............I'd go blue.:laugh:
Tyres being tight/awkard to fit isn't just an issue with tubeless rims - it happens with standard rims too - all depends on the tyre rim combo. I've never had a problem fitting any tubeless tyre so far and have fitted quite a few

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It's on it's on it's on.

So this time I gave the opposite point to the wheel/tyre a good thump and then pushed/fed the tyre around on both sides to the point I needed to get it to pop over the rim - basically removing all the slack around the tyre. The whole affair was over in a few minutes (sounds familiar).

No soap required this time round

I have no idea how hard it will be to take it off in the event of a puncture but now that I know the score a bit better.

Thanks for everyone's advice, such a simple task that should not have been so difficult.

D

Deleted member 26715

But aren't tubeless the best thing since sliced bread so once fitted they will never have to be removed until the tyre is worn out?

D

Deleted member 26715

Must resist must resist, drat can't

Is that a canal reed or a river reed? If you had taken your own advise & bothered to read the whole thread then you would see that I probably have

boydj

Legendary Member
Today I collected a re-rimmed wheel (originally built by Hunt) and successfully refitted the tubeless tyre that had been on when the rim was damaged. The tyre - Hutchison Sector - went on fairly easily, without resorting to levers. I just made sure the bead was in the well as much as possible to get the last segment mounted. The biggest difficulty was getting it seated well enough to hold air. After wasting three CO2 cylinders I finally had to manually work round each side of the tyre to tease it up onto the shoulder of the rim before the pressure of the gas forced the bead fully into the correct position. This allowed me to release the CO2 and fill the tyre with air, using my floor-pump, after sticking some sealant in through the valve, and it seems to be holding the air ok now.

It was a bit of a learning curve, but I'd be confident in tackling the job again. I should add that the LBS had fitted the valve and tubeless tape and had clearly made a good job of this as there was no sign of sealant escaping.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Hello.

I cannot for the life of me get a new 25c Gatorskin on my Giant PR2 Wheel.

The wheel came setup as Tubless, with Gavia tyres. The rear needs replacing so went for a Conti Gatorskin.

Even using my Crank Brothers Speedier Lever plus other levers - just won't go on.

Any advice appreciated.
It's on it's on it's on.

So this time I gave the opposite point to the wheel/tyre a good thump and then pushed/fed the tyre around on both sides to the point I needed to get it to pop over the rim - basically removing all the slack around the tyre. The whole affair was over in a few minutes (sounds familiar).

No soap required this time round

I have no idea how hard it will be to take it off in the event of a puncture but now that I know the score a bit better.

Thanks for everyone's advice, such a simple task that should not have been so difficult.
Well done on persevering. I've got a Giant with those wheels and Gatorskins :okay:

Top Bottom