Having your light's on for a daylight commute ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
So commuting to work this morning in the rain, so will be alot of spray on the roads from car's etc.... Who ride's with there lights on on a day like this ?

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I didn't this morning but it certainly isn't a bad idea.

This is the latest craze amongst the HiViz/ Helmet road safety fanatics to divert attention away from the real issue of driver behaviour

Personally ...

Look around you and if if the lights that are on make a difference... Use yours

However DRLs are a waste of time

sight-pin

Veteran
I don't commute but i have rode with my rear light on in full daylight. Can't see any problem with it, after all motorbikes seem to have them on in daylight.

Edit, Come to think of it, isn't it mandatory now that all new cars are manufactured to have the side lights on all the time, or do i have that wrong?

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
I use a fly6 on the rear so always have a light on in some pattern or other.

sidevalve

Über Member
Actually isn't it a legal requirement to have lights at night OR in times of poor visibility ? Or is that just another law that doesn't apply to cyclists.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's worthwhile putting lights on in reduced visibility, especially in the rain. Even though I can see well enough what's going on around me, car drivers have rain-soaked mirrors and side windows (which can be steamed up too) giving them a very poor view of the vehicles and people around them. With the substantially increased stopping distances, and drivers' visibility hampered, I prefer to give myself every chance of being seen.

GC

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is the latest craze amongst the HiViz/ Helmet road safety fanatics to divert attention away from the real issue of driver behaviour

Personally ...

Look around you and if if the lights that are on make a difference... Use yours

However DRLs are a waste of time
This. A thousand times this. Put lights on if they'll help you see, but other than that, please show solidarity with other people walking and cycling and refuse to help motorists drive faster than what they can see to be clear.

Top Bottom