Hay fever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kablinsky

Becanase nasal inhaler for me. One big squirt in each nostril every morning from end of April onwards. It's the only thing that's helped over the years.

sarahpink

i dont get it every year but this year have it, got some of boots own brand which are crap of to my gp next to see what she can recommend. hope you find something that works

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
piriton is my personal anti-histamine of choice, although it doe cause mild drowsiness. loratadine just dosent seem to have the potency, also with piriton you have the option to take 3 a day, so can regulate it so the drug to kick in at the right time.

the local honey works wonders (desensitizes you to the local allergens if you care about such things) goes great on toast or just pig out and eat it from the jar. Make sure you wash your face after going out to remove any antigens (pollen) on your face. also wash eyes out can help reduce effects.

Put a damn flannel in the freezer and put it on your face when things flair up. helps reduce the sting and redness you can get.

Sadly there is no cure, FYI current thinking links allergies to a overly clean lifestyle, basicly your bodys immune response to parasitic worms (Mmmm) is so underused it starts responding to things that arnt pathogenic.

If you have kids, dont be a hygine freak, it will cause far more harm then good.

Anyways rant over, hope i have helped.

(lifetime sufferer of both contact hypersensitivity, dermatitis and hayfever(im fuc*ed)

sleekitcollie

Most of the anti hist have been covered . I always ware wrap around sunglasses even on cloudy days they do help also when in the car / truck in my case don't drive with the window open as especially on motorways the pollin is whipped up from passing traffic and finds it's way into car . Just now the pollen is from oil seed rape it's horrable stuff and can bring on symptoms in people that don't usually suffer from it . It's that bad I'm sure it is , or certainly was a few years ago banned in lots of E U countrys apart from yeah u guessed it . The UK . And farmers got bonuses for growing it here .
Only other bit of advice I have is TRY not to rub ur eyes . I know it's so hard but if start rubbing it only gets worse .

Norm

RyanW said:
Put a damn flannel in the freezer and put it on your face when things flair up. helps reduce the sting and redness you can get.
Why should the damn flannel go in the damn freezer? :biggrin: I think Ryan was suggesting a damp flannel, which is a great idea.

sleekitcollie said:
Just now the pollen is from oil seed rape it's horrable stuff and can bring on symptoms in people that don't usually suffer from it .
A common misconception. "Hay fever" is caused by airborne pollen, rape is pollinated by insects.

The misconception is generally attributed to rape having a strong smell which comes out at the same time as many trees distribute their pollen, so people smell the rape flowers at the same time as they get hay fever and the two get associated.

sleekitcollie said:
It's that bad I'm sure it is , or certainly was a few years ago banned in lots of E U countrys apart from yeah u guessed it . The UK . And farmers got bonuses for growing it here.
Got anything to support that one? We've been growing it for decades, the Canadians have been growing it since the 19th century, I've never heard of anywhere banning it and, aside from your misunderstanding on its effect on hay fever sufferers and a smell which some people don't like, I've never heard of a problem with it.

barq

My tip is before going for a bike ride rub a little Vaseline around your nostrils for that lovely wet, shiny nose effect. :wahhey: Seriously though, it does stop you inhaling so much pollen. Glasses help the eyes too.

If you end up using cetirizine or loratadine you can get them very cheaply from supermarkets. Even with Piriton some pharmacies do a generic equivalent which is cheaper. Annoyingly the one that helps me most is acrivastine (available as Benadryl). I must book at GP appointment and get it prescribed, because at £4.29 a box of 12 (and you take 3 a day) it gets pricey.

sleekitcollie

Norm said:
Got anything to support that one? We've been growing it for decades, the Canadians have been growing it since the 19th century, I've never heard of anywhere banning it and, aside from your misunderstanding on its effect on hay fever sufferers and a smell which some people don't like, I've never heard of a problem with it.
no nothing to support it afraid , i did read an article once years ago about it ,
can you show any info that oil seed rape does not effect peoples health.
most of the Tree pollen has passed now , and people do get affected by oil seed rape
found this http://oilseedrape.org.uk/
where i live we are surrounded by the stuff now , the years we have it my father cant leave the house is symptoms are that bad , not just hey fever , asthma etc as well , but the years oil seed rape are not grown around us , he can go out and is not nearly as badly affected .
trees are there every year :wahhey:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
tundragumski said:
I've been getting it for 20+ years without a single year off. However, this year seems to be very good so far so I'm guessing for whatever reason that something is starting late this year.
Same here

Bandini said:
Prescription Telfast from the docs are best for me.
I went to see the doc this year for something else and asked him for a repeat prescription while I was there. He said that telfast was his secret weapon, expensive, but really works. I can't quibble, one a day and I'm right as rain, although I don't suffer like some do, its just the sore eyes and snotty nose for mexx(

barq said:
I must book at GP appointment and get it prescribed, because at £4.29 a box of 12 (and you take 3 a day) it gets pricey.

get to the docs, I get two months supply on one prescription.

Norm said:
It usually starts right in the middle of exam week, from O and A levels through Uni exams and professional exams more recently, they always time the exams with the week that the grass pollen bites hardest.

same as me. Mine started right in the middle of my o-levels (showing my age) and has been with me for the last 25 years.

Norm

jazzkat said:
same as me. Mine started right in the middle of my o-levels (showing my age) and has been with me for the last 25 years.
+1 Only it was 30 years ago for me. ;)

Norm

sleekitcollie said:
no nothing to support it afraid , i did read an article once years ago about it ,
can you show any info that oil seed rape does not effect peoples health.
most of the Tree pollen has passed now , and people do get affected by oil seed rape
found this http://oilseedrape.org.uk/
where i live we are surrounded by the stuff now , the years we have it my father cant leave the house is symptoms are that bad , not just hey fever , asthma etc as well , but the years oil seed rape are not grown around us , he can go out and is not nearly as badly affected .
trees are there every year ;)
"Perhaps a starting point should be Government recognition that oilseed rape (rapeseed/canola) is most definitely a cause of ill health (allergy, hayfever, conjunctivitis and asthma type symptoms) " shows, to me, that they just want to see if they can justify their assumptions. There's little else on the site which stands up to much scrutiny.

The one thing that site has which has some scientific justification is that VOC's are present in greater volumes around rape fields, and those may aggravate symptoms in some people.

It doesn't affect the basic fact that hay fever cannot be brought on by anything which doesn't produce wind-borne pollen, though.

Top Bottom