Hayfever (again!).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hayfever is taking it's toll on me this year, constantly running eyes, runny nose and sore throat.

Anyone found a reliable cure?, Loratadine and Cetrazine Hydrochloride don't seem to touch it and neither does Benadryl (sp?).

I used to get hayfever terribly, but I`ve grown out of it over the years, the same thing happened to my dad. I never actually found anything that works, just had to suffer through it. I used to get really hacked off with those that say "oh it`s only like a cold", well it`s far worse than a bloody cold.

I can offer my sympathies as a used-to-be-fellow-sufferer, but not much else:smile:

mangid

Guru
As a kid I went thru what seemed likes weeks of injections which was supposed to build up some tolerance. Maybe it did, can't recall what it was like before, but still suffer with streaming eyes, runny nose, etc. Only positive is that when I'm riding it seems better, once I stop though, it returns with a vengeance. Solution, which seems totally ass about face, get out more :-)

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
[QUOTE 4817413, member: 9609"]did you ever have worms as a child ?[/QUOTE]

I've just had a quick google and apparently being infested with worms lessens hayfever symptoms.

I don't know which is worse!.

I never suffered from it at all until we moved into our latest house, trees all across the back with a field behind that.

Wife's got all the bloody windows open so it's started before I've even got to work this morning..

midlife

Guru
Hayfever is taking it's toll on me this year, constantly running eyes, runny nose and sore throat.

Anyone found a reliable cure?, Loratadine and Cetrazine Hydrochloride don't seem to touch it and neither does Benadryl (sp?).

Two of my fave antihistamines listed there, have you tried Promethazine?

Shaun

As a child of the 70's I was always playing outside, I only ever came home to eat and sleep yet I never had an issue with hayfever once, go figure! :wacko:

Then 4 years ago, (in my early 40's), I started a job working outside and I've suffered ever dammed summer since :cursing:

I just take over the counter Loratadine which seems to help but certainly doesn't solve the problem.

I can only hope it will stop as randomly as it started.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Relocate to a cliff top location overlooking a beach. The sea breeze will sort you out!

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Desloratadine for my hayfever, although I only get mine late June / early July.

Two of my fave antihistamines listed there, have you tried Promethazine?

Shaun

Will give these two a go, is Desloratadine much different to loratadine I wonder?.

I've been in a right mess at work today.

Wife has mentioned going to the doctors with it but I'll probably get fobbed off?, at least I can take a list of what doesn't work..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
As a child of the 70's I was always playing outside, I only ever came home to eat and sleep yet I never had an issue with hayfever once, go figure! :wacko:

Then 4 years ago, (in my early 40's), I started a job working outside and I've suffered ever dammed summer since :cursing:

I just take over the counter Loratadine which seems to help but certainly doesn't solve the problem.

I can only hope it will stop as randomly as it started.

Live in hope but mine's got worse year on year for the last 12 unfortunately!.

midlife

Guru
Will give these two a go, is Desloratadine much different to loratadine I wonder?.

I've been in a right mess at work today.

Wife has mentioned going to the doctors with it but I'll probably get fobbed off?, at least I can take a list of what doesn't work..

Loratadine the drug comes in two shapes for the same chemical formula (isomers). One of the shapes is inactive but the other which is Desloratadine is the active component. Lots of drugs are synthesized / extracted into different shapes using the same building blocks. Warfarin is another one.

In chemistry lessons we were taught about dextrorotatory and levorotatory optical isomers, it's a similar thing :smile:

Shaun

byegad

Legendary Member
Some 4 years ago I suddenly I became hyper-sensitive to insect bites and also chocolate. Never any issues with either for over 60 years and then bang. Hives from having even a tiny amount of chocolate and a serious swelling complete with really bad itching followed by a huge bruise at the site of any insect bite!

Now after repeated chest infections following the, by now traditional, January cold, my asthma is so bad I was referred under the 14 day rule for investigation into possible lung cancer (Thankfully with a huge negative in that regard!) and am awaiting further investigations!

My asthma has been under control for over 25 years with few issues, but now has, for the last 5months, stopped me riding my trikes or even getting out of the house much!

There's no predicting how allergies will develop.

Mike_P

Guru
I never suffered from hayfever and actually got referred to the hospital over my eyes who concluded I had an allergy - was it hayfever ?!! Manage to control it with
Loratadine and routinely add some set honey (not local) to cereal; whether that actually has any effect I know is disputed but seems to largely work for me.

Top Bottom