He could have killed me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Matthew, I know this is slightly off topic, but would I be correct in thinking that despite your many YouTube donations that the Welsh Tourist Board have not yet contacted you for promotional video work?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A pinch point near me has a foot-wide pothole on the lefthand side of the road - obviously a test of forward observation for cyclists.

No room to veer right to miss the pothole and for a car to pass.

The pothole's not that deep and is only about six inches wide, but I wouldn't fancy trying to cycle over it.

Ern1e

Über Member
It seems to be a very bad case of MGIF why oh why can they not just hang back a few seconds ( yes seconds not minets ) and of coarse had you come off it would have been the riders fault for being in the way and to slow !!!!!! Drivers like this should IMO been handcuffed to a bike which is fastened down on a pinch point see how they like it.

fudgepanda

I think it can be quite difficult to gauge a driver's motive for doing what he or she does when viewing these video clips.

1) Was he deliberately aggressive?

2) Was he just not paying attention?

3) Did he mis-judge the overtake but by the time he realised his mistake, decided to carry on when the smart move would have been to wait?

4) Did he just not give a s**t?

The result would have been the same, only the motivation is different. If you're hurt, the only difference is the decision to prosecute the driver and the resulting sentance.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I think it can be quite difficult to gauge a driver's motive for doing what he or she does when viewing these video clips.

1) Was he deliberately aggressive?

2) Was he just not paying attention?

3) Did he mis-judge the overtake but by the time he realised his mistake, decided to carry on when the smart move would have been to wait?

4) Did he just not give a s**t?

The result would have been the same, only the motivation is different. If you're hurt, the only difference is the decision to prosecute the driver and the resulting sentance.
Even though he was extremely close to me, I don't believe that it was deliberate. However, I also don't think he made a mistake. It is difficult to tell as I hadn't held him up and he hadn't shown any aggression towards me. He probably just cannot drive properly around cyclists.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tie a piece of sponge round the mic on the helmet cam. That should quieten it down a bit.

Plus a little bit of black lecky tape over the lens!

fudgepanda

Even though he was extremely close to me, I don't believe that it was deliberate. However, I also don't think he made a mistake. It is difficult to tell as I hadn't held him up and he hadn't shown any aggression towards me. He probably just cannot drive properly around cyclists.
There are plenty of drivers (and probably motorcyclists and cyclists as well) who mis-judge a manoeuvre but instead of braking and moving back behind the cyclist/car/bus/truck they carry on and end up in a dangerous position. Unfortunately this quite often ends in a collision. It's almost as if there's some shame in admitting a driver's made an error.

MarkF

Guru
I commute out and in via the A657, packed with Dales to Leeds drivers & pinch points around Thackley. Similar happens to me every single day.

davefb

Guru
clueless or deliberate, he could have given about a foot more room at that pinchpoint, there was *loads* more room...

afaik, one for driver retraining course...

Top Bottom