He did what!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When you gotta go, you gotta go. :ohmy:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I presume intercity train drivers do very little for long periods of time once the train is up and running.
The driver would know the best place to hand over control, he wouldn’t do it just before a tricky navigation through a set of junctions.
The chances of anything going wrong for that short period would be vanishingly small.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I presume intercity train drivers do very little for long periods of time once the train is up and running.
The driver would know the best place to hand over control, he wouldn’t do it just before a tricky navigation through a set of junctions.
The chances of anything going wrong for that short period would be vanishingly small.
Seriously? I think you presume wrong.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've - obviously - never driven a train, but aren't there dead-hand controls and the like that have to be manipulated every 30 seconds or so? I gather its not like setting the cruise on a car.

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east...km/h?module=lead_hero_story_7&pgtype=homepage

Leaving the cab of a Japanese Bullet train while it was doing almost 100mph! :eek: He left it with an untrained Conductor.

As far as I know the Shinkansen trains operate on automatic except when arriving in stations, whenthe driver makes sure it stops with the doors right by the correct markings in the platform, and leaving the station and accelerating to line speed. Shinkansen tracks are often elevated in cities and very heavily fenced so it's unlikely anyone will be wandering over them. There is even a system wide emergency stop in the event of an earthquake.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I was a passenger in a train crash. Here's an extract from the driver's evidence to the subsequent enquiry -

"He described his trip from York onwards as a normal run under clear signals and, after slowing down to observe a 20 m.p.h. temporary speed restriction near Tollerton, he had regained a speed of 75/80 m.p.h. just before reaching Signal DI9. At this point he would normally have been increasing speed but, feeling uneasy about the view ahead - he should have been able to see the next signal, but it seemed to be obscured by dust or haze - he closed the controller and started to make a brake application rather as a reflex action than because he was consciously aware of any danger. After passing Signal Dl9, it became apparent that there was indeed a cloud of dust ahead and through it he saw the derailed train aboul 400 yds. ahead with a tank wagon foul of the Down Fast line. Evans at once made an emergency application of the vacuum brake and applied the straight air brake on the locomotive: he also operated the sanding device to improve the adhesion of the brakes. In addition, he shut down the engine of his locomotive to reduce the chance of a fire in case the derailed tank wagon contained petrol. As the train approached the obstruction Evans became aware of a man waving his hands on the line ahead of his train but there was then nothing more he could do. He estimated his speed at the moment of impact as somewhere between 40 and 50 m.p.h."

Without an attentive, skilled and fully trained driver in charge of that train the impact speed would have been at least 80 mph and I doubt I'd be typing this now.

roley poley

Über Member
there should have been a trained conductor/qualified drivers mate on board to hand over to when he went down with stomach cramps

Top Bottom