He did what!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a passenger in a train crash. Here's an extract from the driver's evidence to the subsequent enquiry -

"He described his trip from York onwards as a normal run under clear signals and, after slowing down to observe a 20 m.p.h. temporary speed restriction near Tollerton, he had regained a speed of 75/80 m.p.h. just before reaching Signal DI9. At this point he would normally have been increasing speed but, feeling uneasy about the view ahead - he should have been able to see the next signal, but it seemed to be obscured by dust or haze - he closed the controller and started to make a brake application rather as a reflex action than because he was consciously aware of any danger. After passing Signal Dl9, it became apparent that there was indeed a cloud of dust ahead and through it he saw the derailed train aboul 400 yds. ahead with a tank wagon foul of the Down Fast line. Evans at once made an emergency application of the vacuum brake and applied the straight air brake on the locomotive: he also operated the sanding device to improve the adhesion of the brakes. In addition, he shut down the engine of his locomotive to reduce the chance of a fire in case the derailed tank wagon contained petrol. As the train approached the obstruction Evans became aware of a man waving his hands on the line ahead of his train but there was then nothing more he could do. He estimated his speed at the moment of impact as somewhere between 40 and 50 m.p.h."

Without an attentive, skilled and fully trained driver in charge of that train the impact speed would have been at least 80 mph and I doubt I'd be typing this now.

That was while ago, if the train had vacuum brakes.

The Japanese Shinkansen trains have their own network, entirely seperate to the rest of the JR system and apart from the tunnel between Hokkaido and Kyushu there is no point where the two systems interconnect. That said, the reason they have drivers is because of unforeseen circumstances.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Screenshot_20210521-105146_Gallery.jpg

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
commode ,co-pilot and deadmans handle please

Co-pilots on a train are dangerous. Driving a train requires a constant low-level vigilance, hence the vigilance device (dead-mans handle). The presence of someone else in the cab is generally strictly prohibited (other than a driving instructor if the driver is still learning) as it will cause a distraction to the driver and he will lose that concentration on his/her job.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I was a passenger in a train crash. Here's an extract from the driver's evidence to the subsequent enquiry -

"He described his trip from York onwards as a normal run under clear signals and, after slowing down to observe a 20 m.p.h. temporary speed restriction near Tollerton, he had regained a speed of 75/80 m.p.h. just before reaching Signal DI9. At this point he would normally have been increasing speed but, feeling uneasy about the view ahead - he should have been able to see the next signal, but it seemed to be obscured by dust or haze - he closed the controller and started to make a brake application rather as a reflex action than because he was consciously aware of any danger. After passing Signal Dl9, it became apparent that there was indeed a cloud of dust ahead and through it he saw the derailed train aboul 400 yds. ahead with a tank wagon foul of the Down Fast line. Evans at once made an emergency application of the vacuum brake and applied the straight air brake on the locomotive: he also operated the sanding device to improve the adhesion of the brakes. In addition, he shut down the engine of his locomotive to reduce the chance of a fire in case the derailed tank wagon contained petrol. As the train approached the obstruction Evans became aware of a man waving his hands on the line ahead of his train but there was then nothing more he could do. He estimated his speed at the moment of impact as somewhere between 40 and 50 m.p.h."

Without an attentive, skilled and fully trained driver in charge of that train the impact speed would have been at least 80 mph and I doubt I'd be typing this now.
1967?

Top Bottom