Head mounted mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not for me. Anything that could cause a torsion injury to the neck or a penetrating injury to the noggin stays well clear of my bonce potty.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I used one on my recumbent because it was not possible to turn my head enough to get a good view behind. The bike has under-seat steering so had no good place to mount a mirror either; this meant I had to wear a helmet-mounted mirror which, although it was fiddly to set up and get used to initially, was a very useful device. Within a couple of days it became second nature to use and I liked being able to scan all the lanes behind me with a small movement of my head.

View attachment 78652

For anyone worried about injuries from it in a collision, I'd say that it would be unlikely in the extreme. The whole thing is made of plastic and would come apart in a crash.

GC
A bit smaller, attachment wise than this one.
HMM.jpg

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
These are all the rage here in Houston, Texas, USA, planet earth. They tend to be worn by inexperience grumpy riders that huff and puff about overtakers not shouting 'ON YOUR LEFT' at the top of your lungs. Nobbers.

I use one of these:-

http://www.merlincycles.com/cycle-aware-heads-up-eyewear-mounted-mirror-56442.html

I wear it on the RH arm of my (prescription) glasses for both UK and European use and in use in Europe it makes no difference it being on the 'wrong' side. I don't use it on LH side as it is a little bit 'obvious' as I'm left eye dominant [1]. When mounted on the right hand arm and with both eyes open the mirror is virtually unoticeable, but if I close my left eye then the mirror view 'appears' without actually looking at the mirror (though that works too). Since my head is steerable the mirror can be made to point anywhere I want with only very minor movement, it is surprisingly easy to look anywhere after only a little practice though only rear view is much use on the bike, but I can keep an eye on my parked bike whilst sat in a cafe without turning around and suchlike.
I found bike mounted mirrors could only see what was in view at the time you looked at them - and that was never where I wanted it to be!
You really need to have a bit of your head visible to confirm the mirror is looking behind - if you point it without a reference point then if it gets knocked you can't be sure you are actually looking where you thought you where originally.

Before buying you will need to try one, and try it on both glasses arm to check if you are left or right eyed, and some people can't seem to cope with them on either arm at all, problems appear to be the inability to ignore the mirror (no dominant eye?) or bizarrely claustrophobia occasionally??

BUT always shoulder check!!

[1] make a circle with index finger and thumb and look through it at an object and close your left eye - if object jumps left you are left eye dominant and probably need the mirror on RH arm. If it moves right you are right eye dominant so may favour LH arm. If it doesn't move you have no dominant eye and may be able to go both ways - or neither!

Edited to add SHOULDER CHECK

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I've been using a helmet-mounted mirror for many years. It is actually intended for use on glasses, but can be a little fiddly on glasses with very thin side arms, so I've mounted it to my helmet visor. Touring cyclists use them a LOT. I really like it. I never consider it "in the way", as it is very unobtrusive. It is much more stable than bar-mounted mirrors, and is very easy to "sweep" behind you. I don't think one would ever be injured by a helmet/glasses mirror, as in a crash, it will pop off, and you'll have to take the time to search the accident scene to find it.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My wife has almost no ability to turn her head, so I've never been able to get her cycling on anything other than a sustrans type path. Shame really as she wants to and would - happily did so on segregated paths when holidaying in Holland. Tried mirrors but it just isn't going to happen on the roads as they terrify her.

I'll have to have a poke about and see if I've still got the bike-eye and I'll happily post you it so you can have a try yourself if you want. As I said, it didn't work for me.

Quick update: I've tried the bike-eye mirror now and its not for me either, inboard position, flicking the leg out and somewhat restricted luggage options compared to a perfectly serviceable and stable bar end mirror. Nope, I'll stick with what I have.

Apropos of not liking it: First refusal to @Piemaster if he wants it back of course, but if not, I have a spare bike-eye mirror that someone can have if they DM their address.

Quick update: I've tried the bike-eye mirror now and its not for me either, inboard position, flicking the leg out and somewhat restricted luggage options compared to a perfectly serviceable and stable bar end mirror. Nope, I'll stick with what I have.

Apropos of not liking it: First refusal to @Piemaster if he wants it back of course, but if not, I have a spare bike-eye mirror that someone can have if they DM their address.
No thanks, I didn't get on with it for same reasons. Please pass it on if someone else wants a try.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
See here.

I've been using the 'Heads up' spec-leg mounted mirror for years. The best cycling accessory since the brake-block IMO, especially on the 'bent. I also tried the 'View Point' (mentioned just below the headsup but not illustrated). Didn't care much for it. It actually needed a much more central position than the instructions said to be useful and it only really worked on regular glasses. On wrap-arounds it was far too close to my face to be useful.

Top Bottom