Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

Recently experienced blocked ears, more so in my right. Personally for me cycling at the time was a really unnerving as I struggled to hear the traffic noise around me that I'd previously been used to.

I've never tried earphones while riding and based on my experiences from above, probably not likely to. Down to personal preference I guess.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think headphones are safe if you, the wearer, feel safe.

I don't feel safe using my eyes alone so don't wear them. But I know others who've been wearing them for years with no probs.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think hearing is an important secondary. It doesn't help your safety at all, and for a rider to think so is IMO almost always showing up a weakness of their riding.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The point is that it's not a key sense for riding or for your safety. You have to look anyway in order to be safe, so hearing isn't required, even if you like hearing stuff.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
might not be primary skill,, but hearing can be handy..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DATtvvo-kTw

;)

How did my sense of hearing help me there? I expect that he was relying on his sense of hearing a little, or he'd have taken more than a fraction of a second and actually looked properly.

ferret fur

As with all these questions: I don't think it is a safe/not safe answer. But are there occasions when hearing can help you out.

Last week on a single track road in the middle of nowhere (south of Silloth if you are interested). High hedges, so completely blind, a 90 degree right bend in the road. A cart track leads off to the left (ie straight ahead for anyone coming down the road in the opposite direction. It is early in the morning, not seen any traffic for the last two or three miles. approaching the bend I slow up &amp; keep wide so that if anything appears coming the other way (unlikely as it would seem) I can dive left into the farm track. I hear something coming and at the last moment realize that it is coming too fast to be turning the corner. Hit the brakes as a farmer in his 4x4 shoots straight across the junction and into the farm track. If I hadn't heard him coming he would have taken me out.<br>That doesn't mean it is 'unsafe' to wear headphones

[QUOTE 554531"]
What? Sorry (what am I on about I'm not sorry) the above is rubbish.

Traffic coming up behind you, do you see them first or hear them first? You may argue that you can check behind you at regular intervals to mitigate this but I'd be more concerned what is in front of me and only check when I need to i.e when I HEAR traffic approaching.

If you want to test this BM, tape up your ears so you can't hear anything then go out for a ride and then tell me you don't think 'it is an importnant secondary.'
[/quote]

I don't think it's rubbish at all and I'll even go as far to say what you hear can be misleading. People become dependent on hearing what dangers may be at hand and forego looking. How many times has a ped stepped out in front of you because they didn't hear you coming? They may have been listening out for a car, didn't hear one, didn't both to visually look to see if the road as clear and just stepped out. I've seen cyclists do the same thing at Give Way signs, they've rolled up to the junction, not heard a car coming and just rolled on through almost colliding with another equally silent bike already on the road.

The only way to be safe on the road is to look and then look again. To use you equal test, folks should learn to ride a bike without hearing anything to get into the habit of using vision as their first and seconday awareness tools.

I've heard the same reasoning before that riders wish to hear cars approaching from the rear. Why, what's that going to do for you? Tell you there's a car on the road behind you. You're on the road, you should always assume there's a car behind and only ever look to see if it's clear. What are you going to do if all cars go electric?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I think that leads nicely into the helmet debate:-

we need a full head helmet with external sensors for sound, vision and motion, the results to be projected on an internal heads up display. Further supported by a 'sat nav voice' giving general instructions and the odd reassurance like 'you're a man not a machine'.

davefb

Guru
How did my sense of hearing help me there? I expect that he was relying on his sense of hearing a little, or he'd have taken more than a fraction of a second and actually looked properly.

sorry,

yes meant his :smile:.

just seems hipocritical for riders to not worry about it,, but at the same time complaining about peds who walk out with earphones on..

Top Bottom