Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Soul Cycle:

soulcycle.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
Nope, working in PCV you learn stupid, petty bits of legislation that people can (and do) lose their licenses over, and one of them is having two earpieces in at once.

It would be most helpful if you could quote the relevant piece of legislation or secondary legislation to which you refer.

stevieboy378

I wear headphones while cycling, but only in one ear - I like to be able to hear whats happening around me.
I don't listen to loud music, but have my iPod loaded with lots of audiobooks. I find it very relaxing to listen to a good book on a long ride, and it helps on those inevitable dull sections that all long distance rides tend to have . . . .

Jezston

Über Member
I wear headphones while cycling, but only in one ear - I like to be able to hear whats happening around me.
I don't listen to loud music, but have my iPod loaded with lots of audiobooks. I find it very relaxing to listen to a good book on a long ride, and it helps on those inevitable dull sections that all long distance rides tend to have . . . .

You should try both ears - it'll sound much better and you'll still be able to hear around you ;)

It's made me think, though - are audiobooks perhaps more distracting than music?

Norm

What often gets missed here is the poor bike!

Personally I think that the sounds of a bike are important....

The little creak that signifies a loose bolt, that the chain needs oiling etc.
Or, as I found this morning, the noise of a pannier strap which has come loose and is hitting a spoke.

If I hadn't heard that clicking, it might have got caught up and locked the rear wheel, which isn't something that I'd recommend for a rush-hour commute, even in rural Buckinghamshire. :biggrin:

Leah

I use earphones, but only with the music on quietly and to be honest, I concentrate so much on cycling and whats around me that I rarely remember what I have been listening to. I find they actually cancel out wind noise and often help me to pick up on engine noise behind me better.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Nope, working in PCV you learn stupid, petty bits of legislation that people can (and do) lose their licenses over, and one of them is having two earpieces in at once.

Could you please advise as to which piece of legislation this would be?

I went googling and couldn't find anything. There are certainly laws in some of the US States regarding headphones while driving, but I've found nothing to indicate there is anything in UK legislation banning the use of headphones. It would be necessary to prove "driving without due care and attention".

Sam

Bigsharn

Veteran
But it's not against said legislation to do so on a bicycle.

It would be most helpful if you could quote the relevant piece of legislation or secondary legislation to which you refer.

Less so illegal, but you can be done for Driving without care and attention. If you're in a crash and it's the third party's fault they can do you on that for having headphones in, whereas one headphone makes no difference, apparently.

After asking my work manager, professional drivers (PCV, LGV and HGV) aren't allowed to use dual earpieces, but as I say if you're in an accident on another vehicle you can be held liable because of it

Crankarm

Guru
Less so illegal, but you can be done for Driving without care and attention. If you're in a crash and it's the third party's fault they can do you on that for having headphones in, whereas one headphone makes no difference, apparently.

After asking my work manager, professional drivers (PCV, LGV and HGV) aren't allowed to use dual earpieces, but as I say if you're in an accident on another vehicle you can be held liable because of it

I ask again if you could please link to the legislation you are seeking to rely on, otherwise one can only conclude that your posts are purely anecdotal. It might well be that what you have been told is merely the policy of your organisation and has no basis in law.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I don't think there is a specific law against the use of headphones, but in the UK, they can prosecute you for 'riding without due care and attention' since a bicycle is considered a vehicle.

Is there an example of conviction for riding without due care and attention? My understanding was that the only option for the prosecutor was 'riding furiously' or some such thing.

Bigsharn

Veteran
[QUOTE 554499"]
Correct, another piece of legislation that is slightly different is (correct me if I'm wrong) in a car you can be by the side of the road speaking on the phone with the handbrake applied in neutral with the engine still running. However in a PSV you have to turn the engine off.
[/quote]

Sorry to tell you but you've been misinformed. As long as a bus is waiting at a stop or on a stand the driver can talk on a phone, open and close doors and adjust signage on his vehicle (the glowing thing on the front, back and sides showing the route number and destination)

I ask again if you could please link to the legislation you are seeking to rely on, otherwise one can only conclude that your posts are purely anecdotal. It might well be that what you have been told is merely the policy of your organisation and has no basis in law.

It's a potential question on the PCV theory test, I can't find a link but you can ask any local bus operator registered with the CPT and they'll tell you the same. The easiest way to combat it is to allow a wireless earpiece and not permit personal media equipment in the cab at all (which is our company policy), but even then there are workarounds (playing music via a bluetooth phone for instance).

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Could be part of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 [PPVA]. It's certainly not listed under the "rules for drivers" in the Highway Code, so I don't think it's from the Road Traffic Act.

Sam

adscrim

Veteran
Could be part of the Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 [PPVA]. It's certainly not listed under the "rules for drivers" in the Highway Code, so I don't think it's from the Road Traffic Act.

Sam

The rules for motorcyclists suggest the rider "Consider wearing ear protection". Surely such protection would be little better that wearing headphones.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The rules for motorcyclists suggest the rider "Consider wearing ear protection".  Surely such protection would be little better that wearing headphones.

Nah, it's fine for motor vehicle operators to block their hearing like this, or with closed windows and radio in the car. It's only cyclists that aren't allowed to do this, that or someone is talking bollocks. ;)

Top Bottom