Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I do sometimes use them, I really enjoy pedalling along listening to something I can find it very relaxing! I know it dulls the sences, but it is my choice to take the risk! When wearing them I have to always presume there is a car behind and ride accordingly. Oh and use my eyes a lot more.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The hard of hearing will have developed compensatory behaviours such as better rear observation or a sense of vibration, shadow etc.

Like others, I personally prefer to use all the senses nature gave me. One reason I won't wear a helmet is the (even if only subliminal) effect on my hearing.

If you must listen while riding at least use open backed earphones - not the deep fitting in ear type designed to cut out external noise on trains etc.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
They are as capable of maximising their hearing as anyone aren't they?

You'll be careful to go down this line of argument, young joe, as you're acknowledging that having a hearing impairment will make cycling more difficult and that listening to music while riding brings you closer to this impairment.

Oh Mister P, your wrong, again. I dont think it would make cycling difficult at all. Why would it? Which is the same as if someone rides with one headphone in, they can still hear.
Yes Mister P, you casn still hear music at 20mph. I know, i rode from my house to where we store the caravan and averaged 22mph, all while listening to music. No problem there.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Joe24 said:
Whats your thoughts on deaf or patially deaf cyclists?

I am sure that deaf cyclists would love the ability to hear and the ones with partial hearing would not do anything to make the situation worse.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I tend always to ride in fairly heavy traffic, and pretty much always have a headphone in my left ear, but leave ot out on the right.

I can hear what's coming from behind perfectly this way, and have had no problems with it.

Interesting that some say they will not use headphones on the road, but would on a quiet country lane or a Sustrans lane or whatever. I would think this is more dangerous, since it is so much quieter there that the headphones are more likely to block out a subtle hint.

Plus, surely one should be enjoying the sounds of the country, i only wear headphones to drown out the horrible city road noises....

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Also, I use my phone to play the music, so I can also take any calls that come in without having to stop....

Woz!

I've literally always worn them so maybe I've developed these compensatory skills people talk about :tongue:

Never had a problem with it to be honest but I would never wear the Shure style ear plugs that isolate you completely. I also listen at low volume so I'm still aware of most other sounds around me. One of the biggest risks with headphones is ear damage from high volume listening and there's a horrible temptation on a bike at speed to rack up the volume to very high levels.

I find I cycle faster with music on.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I am sure that deaf cyclists would love the ability to hear and the ones with partial hearing would not do anything to make the situation worse.
I'm hard of hearing (and for all of you iPod lovers, it's probably because I used to listen to my iPod all the time, scarily) and I certainly wouldn't do anything to compromise my ability to hear traffic creeping up behind me, even though I have rear-view mirrors on my trike. However I can see the appeal of listening to music whilst riding, it's just that I wouldn't feel entirely safe. Also, like User, I don't think it would sound very good; however on a long journey I can see the appeal of listening to a talking book or the news or something.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I use headphones on my bike but keep the volume at a lower level to allow some traffic noise in so I can hear the approaching traffic from the rear. I use my eyes a lot though, something that's left over from riding motorbikes without mirrors I think! I don't think wearing headphones is for everyone and it really is a choice, I think I'm a bit of a hypocrite the more I think about it as I don't actually think it's a great idea but it seems to work fine for me. I recently went on a ride without my ipod and ended up with ringing in my ears from the wind noise, it was most unpleasant!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Looking over your shoulder before making any kind of a move is far more important than listening out for car engines...

toontra

Veteran
I started wearing phones when doing training laps in Richmond Park and got used to them. When I did my 6-day LEJoG last year (mainly on A roads with lots of dual carriageway) I think I would have gone mad without having loud music on for most of the day to drown out the sound of traffic.

As with helmets, it's a personal choice. If you're not confident then probably best to avoid. If I'm unsure of my route or in particularly unsafe conditions then I take the phones out. I also don't use them for commuting in London. They really come into their own on long rides to break the monotony.

As zimzum says, be prepared to make more shoulder checks.

Don't underestimate the motivational power of the right music. All my PB's have been done with phones on.

Top Bottom