Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I use headphones every now and again - it all depends. I didn't use them this morning because the conditions were really bad - rain and thunder and lightening - but last night on the way home it was dry and sunny and clear and I had my headphones in.

When I cycle along the canal I always use them - cranked up really loud and often end up singing along!!!! :evil:

... the only problem with the above is that you can't hear the angry cyclist pinging their bell behind you trying to get past!!!

... mind you they should just all be relaxing and enjoying my tuneful singing shouldn't they?!

I find that doing the same commute day in day out gets mind numbingly boring and I try to vary my route if I can and do things like listen to music etc to help relieve this!

I listen to my iPod quite loudly when doing my paperround, walking to school, walking the dog, cycling as a journey. All of these are probably quite hazordous as its high traffic. But i never listen to music when im cycling for enjoyment. I suppose in my mind its worse on the country roads?
I would say though it does distract me from concentrating properly though, and maybe contributed to a few close shaves?

I use a MP3 player on most rides, and find that the music can allow some excellent cadence!
Regarding the loss of acoustic clarity, I don't find this. I'm not saying that there is NO loss, I'm saying I find it an acceptable loss, and compensate for it.

For conjecture, those who have mentioned that they choose not to listen to music BECAUSE of this loss of acoustic clarity - if you drive, do you always have the windows open...? I realise that in a car you would be better off in an acccident, but that, surley is after the fact?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Woz! said:
I've literally always worn them so maybe I've developed these compensatory skills people talk about :biggrin:

Literally? Since you were born?:tongue:

I rarely bother with music when I ride, maybe only on a longer solo ride. When I do, I just wear one earpiece in my left ear.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont bother listening to music when i commute. It is only a 10min ride, but i have no need for it. I just charge along, having fun in the traffic, and drafting cars. So i dont really need it. And when i see the person who works in a bike shop in town, well i deffinatly have no need for it, the journey time is cut down due to us both trying to race each other(well he just drafts me)

Crankarm

Guru
RedStork said:
The only thing I dislike about biking on my own is the silence... Well, actually no, I like silence. I dislike silence interrupted by engines.

What is everyone's opinion on biking with headphones in? Is it stupid to do, is it dangerous? Is it any different from driving in a car with a CD blaring?

I think you've answered you own question. Of course it's not safe.
Presumably driving a car with your radio excessively loud would also be dangerous as it would compromise your awareness of other road users around you as well as compromising your ability to control your car properly and safely. Plus your gf should tell you to stop being such an embarrassing chav unless of course your gf is a chav or you don't have a gf because when driving you play your music loud frightening them away or boring them rigid :biggrin:.

Toby_2009

personally I wear one headphone, usually left and not too loud so that I can still hear what is going o around me. I find that particularly when the going gets tough I can tune in to the music and it helps me push on.

I also always take the one earphone I wear out when I come to any junction of blind bend, i simply take it out and drop it and its caught by the straps on my helmet.

Cheers,

Toby

J4CKO

I would love to listen to music as I ride but find my hearing too valuable to give up for listening to some music, can do that all day at work and at night at home if I want, I am sure you can compensate to a point but to me its a constant stream of information, I can tell by engine type note and the increase in volume what is coming up behind me and the attitude to the driver (to a point), I can hear the bin wagon coming up the single track road that you cant see due to hedgerows and move in ready for him to pass and be ready with a cheery wave.

There are other signals to listen for other than cars, animals for example, hedgerow movements, barking dogs, birds and also I listen to the bike, if I had headphones on I couldnt hear any potential problem that may have me off, that rattling you dont hear may be a quick release coming loose ?

None of it is cut and dried, its just another information stream on which to base decisons on, the decisions that may make the difference between life and death, possibly wearing phones might actually improve matters for some but I dont think so.

Individual choice but I always feel a little concerned when I see a cyclist wearing headphones, not so much "Proper Cyclists" but usually teenagers on BMX's with an Ipod in, oblivious to the danger and relying on others to protect them from themselves, it usually seems to work but tragically not always.

Also, I do listen to the radio in the car, usually quietly as I like to hear what is going on, at dogy points in a journey I will turn it off and sometimes open the windows so I can hear what is going on.

I've been using headphones since 1985.TIA

It's not a problem.The problem out there is when people don't bother looking.

not so much "Proper Cyclists" but usually teenagers on BMX's with an Ipod in, oblivious to the danger and relying on others to protect them from themselves,

Yes ok I bow to your superior knowledge.

Presumably driving a car with your radio excessively loud would also be dangerous as it would compromise your awareness of other road users around you as well as compromising your ability to control your car properly and safely.

Presumably.

Don't really have a problem with the motons with all that loud music crap but generally it's the motorists without the loud music on (who drive badly).Probably because there are more of them.

J4CKO

hackbike 666 said:
not so much "Proper Cyclists" but usually teenagers on BMX's with an Ipod in, oblivious to the danger and relying on others to protect them from themselves,

Yes ok I bow to your superior knowledge.

Not sure whether I made my point clearly there, what I am saying is I am more concerned when I see kids wearing headphones on a bike rather than older people who otherwise look like they take all the right precautions, have done their own thinking about the risks and made a considered decision, evolved compensation stratergies rather than relying on drivers to look after them.

bugslop

I tend to use mine on the way to work as i set off from home at 5.20, and there is hardly any traffic, but not on the way home. I only use the left ear piece because when i tried using both i found cars were 'creeping' up on me and making me jump, definitely not a good thing. One thing that i do wonder about is the question of being knocked off and trying to claim against the motorist.

J4CKO said:
Not sure whether I made my point clearly there, what I am saying is I am more concerned when I see kids wearing headphones on a bike rather than older people who otherwise look like they take all the right precautions, have done their own thinking about the risks and made a considered decision, evolved compensation stratergies rather than relying on drivers to look after them.

I know what you mean about headphones.:smile:

I think sometimes I ignore the music for two reasons:

1) I've heard the music one million times before.
2) Im concentrating.

yenrod

I recall once using, which I do anyway, using them (head fones supplied with a mobile) on chainy and had a touch of wheels: some on the ride blamed me for lack of concentration ie i was conectrating on the music but that was not that case AT ALL as the riders where riding nervously anyhow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I reckon they should take the windows out of cars to bring them up to our level of hearing. Twice now I've stood at a certain junction, aware of an ambulance coming along the road, passing a queue and wanting to cross a red light, and seen a driver pull away from the side road light and come fast round the corner, only to find themselves face to face with the ambulance. It's true the side road lights are set back, so you can't see, but I'd have thought, if you hear a siren, you nose out carefully, not at full tilt...

But then, I have a brain....

I reckon, even with earphones in, I'm aware of a siren way before most drivers (and better able to look round for it)

Cking

I quite like listening to the tweeting of the birds and baaring of the sheep on my way to work. Mind you the clicking from that ba****d loose spoke that I can't find is driving me mad!
The car approching noise is useful too

Rgds Cking

Top Bottom