Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
I quite like just listening to the radio in the left ear. I can hear cars coming and I do not believe it distracts or detracts.

madguern

Used to wear them all the time with little issue, however.... was a case in the local paper when a cyclist with headphones was knocked down by a car. Because the cyclist was wearing headphones he was found liable and the car driver got off scot free. The cyclist now walks with a stick ! So I ain't giving car drivers the chance to get away with it ! However now have to put up with hearing every little creak and clunk coming from the bike !! The reason I started wearing headphones in the first place

madguern said:
Used to wear them all the time with little issue, however.... was a case in the local paper when a cyclist with headphones was knocked down by a car. Because the cyclist was wearing headphones he was found liable and the car driver got off scot free. The cyclist now walks with a stick ! So I ain't giving car drivers the chance to get away with it ! However now have to put up with hearing every little creak and clunk coming from the bike !! The reason I started wearing headphones in the first place

Look on the bright side....motorists seem to do what they like anyway.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
kevin_cambs_uk said:
I can hear cars coming behind me, I can't see them, so to me I would think it dangerous

Regardless of where you stand on the headphones/no headphones debate, this is a clear sign that you need to look behind yourself much more. It's never right to rely on your hearing, you should be looking.

I never wear headphones, but I am pretty deaf and therefore rely almost totally on vision anyway - the same as when my hearing was OK - there will nearly always be traffic coming from behind - relying on hearing and not looking is a recipe for hospital food

Norm

BentMikey said:
Regardless of where you stand on the headphones/no headphones debate, this is a clear sign that you need to look behind yourself much more. It's never right to rely on your hearing, you should be looking.
BM, I knew that if I wanted to write something like that, then there was no way you'd be able to resist for long. :laugh:

I take it the only reason you held out for 90 minutes was that you were making tea or something. :blush:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
4F said:
I am sure that deaf cyclists would love the ability to hear and the ones with partial hearing would not do anything to make the situation worse.
Exactly. As one with partial hearing, I can say that

1. I do sometimes use an iPod while cycling, but never loud enough to drown out car noise (however, see point 4 below).
  2. I have a rear-vision mirror which I use regularly.
  3. I supplement the rear-vision mirror by doing head-checks where required, e.g. when turning right or merging to a lane on my right.
  4. It's always important to do visual checks, as the one approaching you from behind isn't necessarily a car; it could be another cyclist with a well-oiled silent machine, and if you decide to e.g. stick your right arm out to indicate a right turn at the wrong moment, a collision could occur.
Regards,

--- Victor.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I like to use all my senses.
Except tasting the tarmac:wacko:.
If I can't hear I always look. If I can hear I look anyway to see what I can hear.
Headphones must cut out some of what yo can hear, even if turned down low.
In the car I don't rely on hearing things quite as much so have the radio on.
As a ped. I can stop at the pavement and spend time looking for traffic much easier than I can on the bike so I sometimes listen to music on my phone (don't have MP3).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
guitarpete247 said:
I like to use all my senses.
Except tasting the tarmac:wacko:.

I tend to hope cars are far enough away that I can't touch them either :blush:

I have used a radio when cycling, and it doesn't have the affect I thought it might as to reducing hearing, as long as you keep the noise down. I find that it helps me on longer solo rides.

No-one ever seems to object to car stereos which block out at least as much noise

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever suits you and your level of risk, really, so I have no sermon to add.

Personally, riding in a big city, I come across a lot of mini-roundabouts in residential areas that have narrow streets, and four storey buildings. There is no way that I can see the approaching traffic, so I like to try and hear them coming. I would feel a bit vulnerable at all times on the bike with headphones.

On the rare times that I go skiing, I have music in my ears at all times, certainly loud enough to drown out "other traffic".

It just boils down to what you feel comfortable with, and that is how it should be.

Jaguar

I have one earphone in (left) and listen to the radio (2 or 4 mostly), when I feel it's safe to (ie, not in busy traffic)

On the route I take to my mum's house (60mph narrow winding roads) I actually feel safer if I can't hear the souped-up nobmobile revving up behind me.

Top Bottom