Headphones and Cycling! Is it safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

adds21 said:
Not sure about that, not in this case anyway.

Touch & Taste - Not much use on a bike unless something has gone horribly wrong.

Smell - I do occationally smell a car, but I don't think it's of much use on a bike, espeically as you're more likely to smell something you're heading towards

Sight - Is the obvious one - Do deaf people have better eye sight? And even if they do, would it make that much difference as a cyclist? I tend to think that if you can't see a car, you're in trouble anyway...

Well, maybe you're right there, technically, I don't know for sure as my hearing (I believe) is pretty good. I guess touch is the obvious one that's improved, but no, not much use on a bike. Sight maybe not, but ability to appreciate what can be seen rather than ignoring a quick glance - quite possibly.

My point is still valid though - hearing is a very useful additional sense :wacko:

adds21

Rider of bikes
dodgy said:
I don't get that, it sounds like you expect to turn around enough times to see every single vehicle that passes you - before it has passed? You must have a neck like an owl's :wacko:

I reckon it all depends on the type of cycling you do, or rather, where you do it.

In town, it's fairly easy to keep track, visually, of what's around you, but I do quite a lot of cycling on both fast A & B roads, and tiny country lanes. In both cases, I'll almost always hear a vehicle before I see it.

On A & B roads if they're comming up behind me at 60mph, on a 100 meter striaght I'd have to look over my shoulder every ~4 seconds to see them (60mph = 27 meters/sec).

And country lanes are so twisty that 90% of the time a car isn't even visible when it's hearable (if that's a word?!).

thanos

regardless people saying they can hear fine through them (which im not going to debate) arent they illegal to have on?
in the united states it is illegal for car drivers to have headphones covering both ears.. if the same rules apply to drivers in the uk, they probably should apply to cyclists..

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Depends on your deffinition of safe, i see plenty of clyclists with headphones in. They don't seam to have an issue. I did try it for a few weeks, couldn't stand it.
But i think you should take into account the enviroment your in. Cycling in rush hour in london, you always hear the sound of a car engine.

leyton condor

Veteran
I tried this once and it was not for me, even though I use them for running.
I lasted about half a mile or so before stopping, I just did not feel safe at all.
Some friends of mine do 10 mile commutes daily with headphones though.
Each to his own

gavintc

Guru
dodgy said:
I'm confused about the 'engine noise approaching from behind' argument. What do you do when you hear an engine noise approaching?

I completely agree. However, having just moved over to Italy I have not worn my ipod other than on very quiet roads as I am still getting used to the traffic and how it interacts with cyclists. In UK, I would listen to music or the radio on the commute.

NigC

I doubt they are illegal - I'm sure hands-free mobile usage (using a headset) is fine and it's pretty much the same thing. I had a quick scout the gov website but couldn't see anything.

Your general environment is a good point: On the busy city roads, traffic noise will be constantly with you, so visual checking is going to even more important and a mirror may be the best option - but checking over your shoulder is still important when manouvering.

Where I am, combined with the time I travel means sometimes the traffic is quite light and so audible clues can give you a good idea of what's going on.

Plus, as mentioned, on a winding country lane, you're likely to hear traffic well in advance of seeing it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I failed to use my sense of smell last night - diesel spill on the road. Thank goodness it was on the uphill section with me doing about 6mph, instead of the downhill twisty bit at 40mph. Only noticed when I thought that feels like a puncture.

I didn't even have to phone 999 about it, a fire engine turned up behind me to sort it out.

BigSteev

adds21 said:
a car isn't even visible when it's hearable (if that's a word?!).

Audible.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funny then that I usually see emergency vehicle lights long before I can hear them. Even when you can hear them, it's no real use in a city like London, they could be anywhere in the maze of streets around you, and never come close. Even then, hearing won't help you to see the second emergency vehicle sometimes following behind, which is why it's so risky being in that second vehicle.

Jezston

Über Member
Aha! My favourite topic! How comes I never noticed this before?

I often wear headphones cycling. I wouldn't say it lessens my sensory awareness AT ALL. If at all, it's may be slightly below thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner in terms of affecting my concentration.

Make sure you do use OPEN BACKED headphones, though - these do not cut down on noise entering your ears. Closed back do cut down on external noise.

Also, foam ear pad covers are useful in cutting out wind noise. I find I can hear vehicle engines over wind noise better with my headphones on than with them off.

Jezston

Über Member
Also, riding in a busy city, I'm not sure what useful information you can draw from the surrounding noise anyway. With tall buildings either side reflecting sound around and cars being pretty quiet these days I usually just find riding in city centers a fog of noise anyway - often finding myself looking around at that car accelerating behind me to find the noise is coming from a moped crossing a junction 100m in front of me.

Jezston

Über Member
Grendel said:
I detest seeing anyone cycling while wearing headphones.
It's the height of ****wittery.

Sorry just wanted to quote this for absurdity.

1. The fact not only do they disagree with the idea of wearing headphones whilst cycling, they actually DETEST the experience of witnessing it. As if some how doing so was a personal affront to them and their own safety.

2. That they think it is the WORST thing you could possibly do. Far worse than say, riding at night without lights, going the wrong way down a one way street, riding with your eyes closed on flat tyres on the motorway etc.

NigC

Jezston said:
Aha! My favourite topic! How comes I never noticed this before?

I often wear headphones cycling. I wouldn't say it lessens my sensory awareness AT ALL. If at all, it's may be slightly below thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner in terms of affecting my concentration.

Make sure you do use OPEN BACKED headphones, though - these do not cut down on noise entering your ears. Closed back do cut down on external noise.

Also, foam ear pad covers are useful in cutting out wind noise. I find I can hear vehicle engines over wind noise better with my headphones on than with them off.

I can't see any real problem with using them in that way - it sounds like they're there for background music rather than any attempt to drown out the traffic. Where I would be concerned is when the purpose or effect of their use reduces your ability to hear road noise.

c2c

redredrobin
i posted a thread last year saying about what a lovely ride id had with radiohead blasting on the ole mp3.......... a guy replied saying pretty much what a numpty i was. this started a bit of a debate with many pepes defending my right to cycle with earphones in..................... and then this year i got hit off, from behind. the driver didnt see me, and i didnt hear him.

im not so sure now wether maybe i was being a numpty.????

Top Bottom