Headphones whilst Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

I personally would never wear headphones whilst on the road but thats me !.

Apologies if this has been posted already I have not read all the pages for this thread, but I was reading an on line article a very short while ago which detailed a new earphone design aimed specifically for cyclists and outside pursuits where.. (apologies if this sounds like I'm talking out my arse) the sound is some how transmitted through the bone in your ear or something !?.

Anyway the end result is the people that tested them were able to hear the music but also everything else around them like traffic etc, obviously in music terms this might not be ideal but could be a could compromise on the bike no ?.

Tynan

Veteran
amuses me that people don't like drivers on mobiles yet think riding with headphones makes no difference to their awareness, any extra noise into your ears must detract from the quality of your hearing surely, plus the distraction from the music

maybe for long rides but I wouldn't dream of it on an urban commute, see people using them all the time apparently in a world of their own

bauldbairn

HJ said:
Deaf people manage cycle perfectly well, there is no reason where wearing headphones should make it any more dangerous. The important thing is to look, cycling blind is not a good idea...

+1.

Have worn headphones/earbuds for more than 25 years(no probs) - cycling and motorcycling, always turn down/switch off in very busy traffic though. As HJ says keep aware of what's going on around you.

bauldbairn

darthpaul said:
Just to join in with this I have been commuting 18 months now and I use a set of these. This allows me to enjoy the radio but keep my ears open. Also I find the wind particularly in cold weather gave me a headache before I wore them so they do 2 jobs

Very interesting never saw them before. ;)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
HJ said:
Deaf people manage cycle perfectly well, there is no reason where wearing headphones should make it any more dangerous. The important thing is to look, cycling blind is not a good idea...

nothing to do with the argument.

Blind people can cross roads using nothing but a stick, would you shut your eyes and try it?

people who have permanently lost a sense develop coping mechanisms to mitigate that loss.

what does the green cross code say about vehicular awareness?

last time I heard it wasn't 'stop, look, and groove away to Goldfrapp'

I'm really not that fussed about the issue, but from an observational point of view there is a big difference in levels of awareness between people listening to music from speakers and people listening to music through headphones (and yes, I know headphones are speakers but you know what I mean).

I don't think I'll post anything else on this thread, because people who do wear headphones have considered the issue and think it is fine. People who don't wear headphones have done the same thing and come to a different conclusion, so my views are pretty immaterial.

Tynan

Veteran
this is the same as helmets, people do what they want and make arguments and 'facts' to justify their stance, whatever, free country

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have often thought about it but then i wouldnt hear all the verbal we get thrown at us cyclists

potsy

Rambler
I know it's all been said before but you can still hear traffic noise with the ear-phones in,just at a lower level.Personal choice at the end of the day,I sometimes wear them but usually don't.
Plenty of looking round and staying aware of stuff in front/side roads etc and I can't see a problem.

No problem here but it's funny I was a ped yesterday and switched off when crossing the road.Arghh the embarresment.It happens although rarely.

PK99

Legendary Member
potsy said:
I know it's all been said before but you can still hear traffic noise with the ear-phones in,just at a lower level.Personal choice at the end of the day,I sometimes wear them but usually don't.
Plenty of looking round and staying aware of stuff in front/side roads etc and I can't see a problem.

i often find that runners in /Richmond park wearing earphones are oblivious to my bell and shouted warnings when on the mtb on the Tamsin trail - and are startled when i eventually pass

martynjc1977

Veteran
Tbh I aint never had a problem in listening to music on my commute, have it loud enough to cancel out the wind noise. Car drivers listen to music, so I cant see the problem. Never had a music related issue while out on the bike or the car.

Top Bottom