Headphones whilst Cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Oh blimey I have opened a can of worms. Well, it's open now!

One point I (think I) made in my original post that doesn't appear to have been addressed, is that I find simply wearing headphones actually IMPROVES the audibility of traffic?

What's that you say? Well, my headphones are 'open backed' i.e. they aren't a sealed design - they let air in and out which means they let sound in and out. As they have a foam covering I find this acts as quite an effective windshield for my ears, like the foam things you see on microphones, which cuts out the boomy rumble you get from the wind, thus making me able to hear what's going on in the outside world BETTER.

Then I stick a slight layer of music on top of that. So I don't think I'm cutting down on the useful information of the world around me but actually slightly improving it. I also don't find the music especially distracting - the only times I've done anything slightly stupid when cycling is because I've been daydreaming slightly, if anything the music helps me stay focused!

Each to their own and all that.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There is a lot of speculation here, so lets have a look at the data, well wearing headphones is not listed as a contributory factor! As for cyclists not stopping at red lights and not using lights after dark, these where on contributory factor in 4% (2% for each) of all accidents.

chris__P said:
How can you say that "Being able to hear what is around you makes cycling safer" is a poor opinion?

I'm not saying that it isn't more important to look, but being able to hear as well, obviously, is an advantage, regardles sof if its a small one.

Because any advantage of listening to traffic conditions is not obvious. I'll even go a step further and say for some it could be a distraction. In heavy traffic your only focus should be to visually confirm your way ahead is clear. Any noise from behind or the side that requires a quick visual glance is a distraction from the road ahead.

I wonder how many cyclists have crashed after being startled by a loud noise that in fact was not indicative of something dangerous.

Maybe in a decade or so (or more) when cars are electric and almost silent, what will you be listening for then?

On that subject I bought a new MP3 player from Argos....it's called RedMango 8GB and it's been great over the last two days...It takes one AAA battery.

potsy

Rambler
I've worn mine last 2 days on way in,haven't bothered for ages just fancied a change.Really enjoyed it though I usually listen to plays/comedy stuff rather than music,and I can still hear cars coming up behind me.

I enjoyed it as well but I must have heard my 200 most favourite mp3s many times.

Pleased with the player but as it has no screen it is guesswork to how long the battery will last.Also I just wonder about the "randomness" of the mp3's it plays.

Also Argos and other stores seems to be under the impression I need a screen so I can watch videos.

In other words there isn't much of a choice of the sort of players I am after and ebay is the same.

potsy

Rambler
I've got a cheapish Sony mp3 player,only 2gb but has a small screen for track info and stuff.Charges up via usb connector.Does me fine for the few times I use it.Also means any abuse from chavs/scallies gets ignored easier;)

darthpaul

Just to join in with this I have been commuting 18 months now and I use a set of these. This allows me to enjoy the radio but keep my ears open. Also I find the wind particularly in cold weather gave me a headache before I wore them so they do 2 jobs

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I recently inherited a pair of these:

http://www.jabra.co.uk/Sites/Jabra/uk-uk/Headsets/Pages/JabraBT620s.aspx

Quality and performance isn't amazing - makes the music sound a little lower bitrate, and occasionally loses connection with my phone, but they fit nicely with a helmet, the straps holding them in place, cut down on wind noise and are open backed so don't cut down on useful external noise info, and they can also flash bright colours!

Top Bottom