Heads up Scam text

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Know a chap who works with one of the high street banks and deals with scam victims. What he told me surprised me at first. He said that he and his colleagues over the years have a stereotype of a scam victim and outliers are extremely rare.

He said that these victims are typically well organised at home, keep every document in files and folders, organise all their personal data, financial details in proper order and they are also active in keeping track of inflation, savings rate, stock market etc. He is also said they were also frugal prefer to save then spend. He also said they worked mostly in blue collar, retail sales, clerical, admin jobs etc.

He said they tend to fall victims because they are keen to maximise their hard earned savings in view of their hardworking and frugal nature. He said they tend to fall for phishing scams asking for validation of personal data and bank details because they view their savings and financial status on a daily basis and afraid they might lose access if the details were not updated.

He said the boiler rooms scams out of Spain and Thailand wiped out a lot as they were listed on the phone directory and their address revealed their demographics. He said boiler room operators avoided high and middle end of town because they were not an easy target.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I don't click on any links to PayPal.

I sit and laboriously type out the PayPal address in full into a blank browser page and press enter.

Is this the most secure way?
Slightly less work is to right-click on the link and select "Copy link" from the pop-up menu.

Then you can paste it into Notepad and it's easy to see if it's dodgy.

Attachments

• E47A50E2-C80B-4004-B77B-7E5E1D83AE13.jpeg
    E47A50E2-C80B-4004-B77B-7E5E1D83AE13.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 5

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmm... I have just had one that I might have fallen for, but it looks iffy. I had a failed smart meter installation a few weeks ago. The text suggests that I can help 'commission' it. The engineer at the time told me that it needs unavailable parts.

People online are reporting various scams associated with the originating number... :whistle:

I think I will double check on the British Gas website!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hmmm... I have just had one that I might have fallen for, but it looks iffy. I had a failed smart meter installation a few weeks ago. The text suggests that I can help 'commission' it. The engineer at the time told me that it needs unavailable parts.

People online are reporting various scams associated with the originating number... :whistle:

British Gas, definitely a scam then

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
latest one
freinds request on facefluff, i know the person and we got on ok when we worked together so i accepted then a few hours later i get a msg telling me about "tcf" giving money to people and he got £100,000 and a "link" to the company but no details , no general chit chat you expect

a quick google confirms it like the old nigerian prince who will send you cash if you send them a small deposit to set up your account for payment.

I doubt it is dodgy - it is a bit specific ? But always good to check anything out.

A bit of googling found this :

How to check whether your meters are commissioned?​

You can check whether your Secure S1 Smart meter is commissioned by following the steps below:

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

On an Aclara S2 meter, check the meter is commissioned by checking the electricity smart meter communications hub (at the top of the meter). If the HAN light is not flashing, this suggests that it hasn’t been commissioned. Further to this, on the screen itself, a commissioned meter would have a signal bar and "HAN" written on it to indicate connection.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I doubt it is dodgy - it is a bit specific ? But always good to check anything out.

A bit of googling found this :

How to check whether your meters are commissioned?​

You can check whether your Secure S1 Smart meter is commissioned by following the steps below:

• Press '0' on the meter's keypad. (This applies for both the electricity and gas.)
  • If a meter has been commissioned correctly, the meter display will begin to cycle through various screens; starting with the date and time.
  • If a meter has not been commissioned, displayed on the screen will be 'COMMISSION - YES OR NO'. (This will be abbreviated.)

On an Aclara S2 meter, check the meter is commissioned by checking the electricity smart meter communications hub (at the top of the meter). If the HAN light is not flashing, this suggests that it hasn’t been commissioned. Further to this, on the screen itself, a commissioned meter would have a signal bar and "HAN" written on it to indicate connection.

Thanks. I thought it would be a bit of a coincidence too, but if scammers send that kind of message out to millions of people they are bound to find a few thousand who have had meter updates recently. A bit like the messages I get warning about my Facebook account being suspended - I don't have one! And I am not doing a Wells Fargo money transfer either... :whistle:

I will going down to the cellar after drinking my coffee so I'll check the meters.

Top Bottom