Headset bearings, assembly of.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I've removed the steerer from my bike for the first time, the headset bearings appear to be in very good nick so I'm going to re-install them. They and the races have been coated/smeared in a greenish-coloured paste/grease , what type of lube should I be using to re-assemble the steerer? I've heard tell of 'assembly paste' but the only product of this type I can find online is for carbon frames, and presumably for the seat post? I've got a Park Tools grease gun ad the requisite grease for it, will this be OK to use?

Any grease can be used on your headset bearings.

Assembly paste is something else, it is not for bearings.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're going to get into bike maintenance, go and buy a 1kg tub of synthetic grease and a tub of copper grease. These will last several years . Everytime you remove a nut or bolt from the bike add a little copper grease to the threads . Use synthetic grease on all bearing races or for lubrication of sealed bearings.

Thanks all Copper/moly disulphide/lithium grease I have from the days when my cars needed much more of such things, so I'll employ them in future. I was fairly sure that bikes wouldn't need anything grossly out of the ordinary but I didn't want to cock things up by using the wrong lube.

If you're going to get into bike maintenance, go and buy a 1kg tub of synthetic grease and a tub of copper grease. These will last several years . Everytime you remove a nut or bolt from the bike add a little copper grease to the threads . Use synthetic grease on all bearing races or for lubrication of sealed bearings.
You say synthetic as if you know something we don't. What's wrong with mineral?
Copper compound is not grease. Grease being a lubricant.

Top Bottom