Headset bearings.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'd ceretainly be striping it and cleaning it - when you get the thing to pieces then you can judge if it needs new bearings and what kind they are. If it is notchy then that's not right and it needs attending to or it will wear the bearing seats
I think I could feel one set a bit sticky, so just replaced both, so thanks for the tip. I'm now a bit concerned when I stuck it back together, there seems to be quite a gap in the top bearing. Everything is tight, although not torqued, and there's no movement. Is this something to be concerned about?

iluvmybike

Über Member
I think I could feel one set a bit sticky, so just replaced both, so thanks for the tip. I'm now a bit concerned when I stuck it back together, there seems to be quite a gap in the top bearing. Everything is tight, although not torqued, and there's no movement. Is this something to be concerned about?
Check that you have fitted an identical size bearing and that everyhting is in the right order :smile:

Slick

Guru
Check that you have fitted an identical size bearing and that everyhting is in the right order :smile:
The guy in LBS put my bearings on a micrometer so I'm fairly certain that they are the same size, 42 mm I think he said. Not much to check on the right order but I'll have another look tomorrow. Cheers.

Top Bottom