Headset bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
I need to order some new bearings, but dont really know what its called im looking for, wondering if someone can help?

This is whats on the headset at the moment but the part at tje bottom of that picture, goes at the bottom closest to the fork is really rusty and grinds when turning, ive tried wd40 and grease but just going to buy a new one

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
isn't it just called a headset bearing, sealed, by the looks of it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sealed bearing. 1-1/2 inch or 1-1/4 in size.There should be a set of numbers on the outer edge. Bottom ones do tend to go first. The other aspect to take into account is the degrees of the bearing edge, either 45/45 or 45/36 but this will br printed on the outside of the bearing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
They are so rusty i cant see anything on the side of them
They are both 42mm wide but the bottom one is slightly thicker
Does the thickness matter?
Can i just buy 2 the same as long as they 42mm?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Sealed bearing. 1-1/2 inch or 1-1/4 in size.There should be a set of numbers on the outer edge. Bottom ones do tend to go first. The other aspect to take into account is the degrees of the bearing edge, either 45/45 or 45/36 but this will br printed on the outside of the bearing.
It isn't always printed on them and often by the time they need changing there is so much corrosion you can't see the tiny print! Measure external diameter, internal diameter, depth and angle then go to a decent bearing site (Simply Bearings eg) and get the right one or take it to LBS to identify. A decent LBS should have a box full, of different ones

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I found some tool online it says its IS42/30 and IS42/28.6 dont seem to be many about online though

You’ve got races, cups, angled contact bearings, and spacers in there. Work out which bits are broken ( usually the ACBs IME) take the numbers off the edge of the bearings ( the shiny silver things with the red rubber bits on them ) order some replacements. Put it back together, pre tension it, then torque up the stem bolts, job’s a good’un.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
If only it were that easy haha
I cant read anything of off them as they are too rusty!

Going by the site i found they are is4230 and is4228.6
And yes 11/8

But just cant find them online and have no faith in lbs after recent visits!

Edit
Ive found the upper one but its the lower one is4230 i really need! Typical!

No, find a compatible headset bearing is never easy unless you know the THI number and even then, to find one in stock is difficult.

They vary in angles 38 and 45 degrees and combinations thereof are the most common. Then there is OD (ID is usually standard for a given steerer size) and height.

I just saved you the impossible hassle of measuring the angles, by saying it is 45/45. Now all you need is height and OD.

Nevertheless, the best way forward is to get a brand new headset from a company that sticks to standards. That's Cane Creek. Once you have a Cane Creek headset, your problems are solved.

BTW. FSA stocks all bearings, even for obscure Campagnolo headsets and each one is identifiable through the FSA THI number etched on the side of the bearing. Corrosion erases the etching but that's why you keep a mechanical notebook for your bikes. Numbers, suppliers and prices go in there, as well as replacement dates.

Top Bottom