Headset bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
life is much easier with loose bearings.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ive looked on cane creek, i cant select a headset because they dont have my bike listed on the drop down menu, all i can do is search which i need. I already know i need IS42/30 IS42/28.6.

Am i missing something?

Ive looked on cane creek, i cant select a headset because they dont have my bike listed on the drop down menu, all i can do is search which i need. I already know i need IS42/30 IS42/28.6.

Am i missing something?
Yeah, you are. All Cane Creek needs is a head tube inner diameter, the bike brand is irrelevant unless you don't know how to measure, then brand assumptions are made. This doesn't work for marginal brands, so just measure. Unfortunately you need to remove the existing headset first.

All this assumes you have an external or, semi-integrated headset. If you have an integrated headset, you will have to buy the bearing that works with that frame.

Lets see a photo of your (bike's) head tube.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I thought tje pic i posted in my OP was the headset?

Edit

Oh head tube! I miss read sorry!

Its in the shed now but i took this pic earlier if it helps

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
Very often there is a code embossed in the rubber/plastic seal - that should help identify (that's in addition to the usual numbers on the side which are often rusted ove). The other option is to go to either a supplier of bearings (there are loads around, not necessarily bike specific) or a good LBS and they can measure the depth, OD and ID as well as the angles. Once you've got that the decision is on the quality/price.

As an emergency it's not difficult to prise out the seal (there may be 1 or 2) with the a very thin sharp blade - clean out the ball race with de-greaser, dry thoroughly and repack with thin grease before popping the seal back in. Tip: just in case the balls fall out carry out this operation with the bearing in something like a shall plastic tray - or even a baking tray.

Rob

Very often there is a code embossed in the rubber/plastic seal - that should help identify (that's in addition to the usual numbers on the side which are often rusted ove). The other option is to go to either a supplier of bearings (there are loads around, not necessarily bike specific) or a good LBS and they can measure the depth, OD and ID as well as the angles. Once you've got that the decision is on the quality/price.

As an emergency it's not difficult to prise out the seal (there may be 1 or 2) with the a very thin sharp blade - clean out the ball race with de-greaser, dry thoroughly and repack with thin grease before popping the seal back in. Tip: just in case the balls fall out carry out this operation with the bearing in something like a shall plastic tray - or even a baking tray.

Rob
That won't work. Headset bearings don't conform to the ISO standards where a number has a meaning and indicates the type of grease, seal, dimensions and construction of the bearing. Further, bearing suppliers don't stock headset bearings. You'll find that they've never even seen one.

Also headset bearings don't fail from an overall lack of grease, they fail from dimpling, an artifact of localised grease starvation due to the bearing not rotating, but oscillating in place.

It is new bearing time.

robgul

Legendary Member
That won't work. Headset bearings don't conform to the ISO standards where a number has a meaning and indicates the type of grease, seal, dimensions and construction of the bearing. Further, bearing suppliers don't stock headset bearings. You'll find that they've never even seen one.

Also headset bearings don't fail from an overall lack of grease, they fail from dimpling, an artifact of localised grease starvation due to the bearing not rotating, but oscillating in place.

It is new bearing time.

I beg to differ on bearing suppliers keeping them - cycle bearings aren't totally specific to bikes (Someone has quoted Simply Bearings) - and my "emergency" idea was just that if the headset is really, really gritty - not a solution, just a get out of jail solution (just cleaning out the worn bits and probably rust residue and repack with grease)

Rob

I beg to differ on bearing suppliers keeping them - cycle bearings aren't totally specific to bikes (Someone has quoted Simply Bearings) - and my "emergency" idea was just that if the headset is really, really gritty - not a solution, just a get out of jail solution (just cleaning out the worn bits and probably rust residue and repack with grease)

Rob
Headset bearings are unique to bicycles. They were invented to solve a very specific engineering problem that doesn't occur with any other bearing application I can think of. Can you cite an example where headset bearings are used other than in bicycles?

Top Bottom