headset feels rough, time for new one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spence

Über Member
Depends on the headset, some you can’t swap out the bearings others you can. If it’s something like a CK or Hope, flip the seal off, wash through and re-grease.

spence

Über Member
The Cane Creek HS I had a number of years back (ZS) used standard seals on its bearings ie not realy recomended for removal. The CK/Hope ones mentioned use a steel snap ring to hold the seal, this is designed to be removed and replaced. Check yours.

Don't use white spitit, it will leave a greasy film. A proper de-greaser or at worst GT85.

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't remember which headset it was, but i had one that went rough on one of my older bikes. I just dropped the forks out, cleaned out the rusty muck out of the bearings, re-greased and re-assembled. Ran like a good un after that.

02GF74

Über Member
what exactly do you mean by rough?

either there may be grit in there or else there races have become pitted - the latter is more notchy since as you turn the bars, the ball bearing will tend to get momerntariyl stuck in the pits in the race.

you need to take it apart for a looksee.

if races and bearing are fine, quick clean witrh white spirit/paraffin/petrol, regrease and reassamble.

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
yh notchy thats the boy. actually the bike is hanging from the ceiling via the seat and the bars will not drop to a neutral position. i did a regrease and it seemed better but clearly not :evil:

can you see the worn races?

Top Bottom