Headset for 34mm headtube - Kona Dew Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello
I just got this Kona Dew Plus frame.
The internal diameter of the head tube is 34mm. I was wondering if anyone could help me pick the right headset for this frame ?

I thank you all in advance for your help!
Mateo

figbat

Slippery scientist
A bit of information here. It looks like it's a 1 1/8" headset you need - plenty of choices available for these.

All uphill

Still rolling along
:welcome: 34mm?? Very unusual.
1 1/8" = 28.6mm, just saying, (not saying you're wrong @figbat )
The 1 1/8" is the diameter of the steerer tube. The inner dimension of the headset is bigger, to accommodate bearings.

Sheldon Brown says an EC34 headset fits in a 34mm headset, and that 34mm is the most common mtb diameter.

Google Sheldon Brown for more info.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes. Look at Cane Creek too. I've run a couple for a decade, one in daily use, and they never needed attention. In the unlikely event that you wear one out, the bearing cartridges are easy to get.

Ajax Bay

Guru
would need a 1-1/8 threadless fork.
Would have thought you'd have a fork for disc brakes (link is for rim brakes):
BrakesTektro HDC300, hydraulic disc
spec from: http://www.bikeroar.com/products/kona/dew-plus-2014/specs

OP
OP
M

Matthieuhaentjens

I have a pair of caliper rim brakes so I was thinking using this instead. I am not sure of the year . I am sure I have a 34-34mm headtube threadless though... any idea?

I thank you in advance
Mateo

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Now we know it's an EC34 headset, stack height is the only thing to be aware of if you change model but it's rarely an issue with threadless setups unless you've cut the fork right down so there are no spacers left. You can generally just add or remove spacers to suit.

On threaded forks, stack height can be a nightmare. Some 90s bikes had their steerer cut very short to suit a Shimano headset with very low stack height.

OP
OP
M

Matthieuhaentjens

Hello Thanks for your answer

When I measure the lenght of the frame headtube I have 15cm.

The fork tube is 18.5cm..is that enough ?
Cheers
Mateo

Ajax Bay

Guru
No. The steerer tube has to stick up above the combination of headtube plus headset stack depth. You need enough excess to clamp a stem onto it (maybe up to 50mm), and sensibly a thin (2.5mm) spacer above and below.
The Brand X headset you linked to earlier has a stack height of ~29mm.
So the steerer tube of the e-bay fork you linked to @ 185mm is no where near long enough.
Look for a steerer tube of minimum 150 +30 + 50 + 5 (mm).

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
200mm is a really short steerer for a new fork. They're usually super-long so they can be made in one size and cut down by the installer.

Bear in mind that many new 1 1/8" steel forks will need the steerer tube's crown race seat cutting to an accurate 30.0mm diameter, with a perfectly flat and perpendicular base. This is not always done at the factory. Any decent bike shop will have the tool.

Top Bottom