Headset headache!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In need of advice,I have giant 2020 atx,straight steer, non tapered, what head set do I get, what size bearings???thx

Sharky

Guru
What's wrong with the current one?

Jody

Stubborn git
You will need to make sure of the steerer tube and head tube diameter.

Do these run cartridge bearings or caged?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As it's relatively new, take the stem off and drop the forks off. Take the bearings out and you'll see the specific number written on the side. Note these all down, and then google. Always worth doing this when a bike is new as the numbers wear off. I remembered to take the numbers off my MTB this year - was getting hard to see after 4 years.

If the bearings are gritty, you can clean them out and repack with grease. The only time you wouldn't is when you discover they are all rusted up.

To clean out, I pop the seal off (use a pin or a pick) and then blast out the dirt and old grease with brake/carb cleaner. Dry off, WD40 it, and dry off again. Then re-pack with grease.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Remove bearings and if yuo can't see the numbers then measure inside diameter, outside diameter, height and angle - then buy the appropriate bearings. If it is a straight steerer then bottom and top will prob be the same. But if it is a new bike thn headset bearings highly unlikely to b worn? What i the issue you are having?

OP
OP
P

pacomiller

You will need to make sure of the steerer tube and head tube diameter.

Do these run cartridge bearings or caged?
Caged

OP
OP
P

pacomiller

As it's relatively new, take the stem off and drop the forks off. Take the bearings out and you'll see the specific number written on the side. Note these all down, and then google. Always worth doing this when a bike is new as the numbers wear off. I remembered to take the numbers off my MTB this year - was getting hard to see after 4 years.

If the bearings are gritty, you can clean them out and repack with grease. The only time you wouldn't is when you discover they are all rusted up.

To clean out, I pop the seal off (use a pin or a pick) and then blast out the dirt and old grease with brake/carb cleaner. Dry off, WD40 it, and dry off again. Then re-pack with grease.
I had no idea the measuresments were written like that,thx

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Its caged balls,I want sealed.

You can't mix these as the fitting and contact areas are totally different.

The only thing you can do with caged bearings is run them loose without the cage.This sometimes makes steering a bit smoother - depending on the cage.

Last edited:
Its caged balls,I want sealed.
Is there a problem with the current one's sealing?
I'd free the balls, grease well with good grease,put back together sealed.
With good maintenance, not overly onerous, if it's at all decent, there is a fair chance that it will outlive you for the cost of a few balls and some grease.
Then you can relieve yourself of all these mathematical complications and just ride your bike.

Edit - i see you have used the dread word "upgrading".
How do you think this new headset will upgrade the experience of riding your bike?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom