Headset totally loose (crap) and marks in fork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Everything sits now, which is nice but the steerertube is toast but it would suck having loose steerer when training inside so well better than nothing.

Sorry with English not being your first language (and I don't have any other) I'm losing what you are saying or meaning. I'm not sure why the damage has happened if it was OK from the start and nothing was taken apart.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Sorry with English not being your first language (and I don't have any other) I'm losing what you are saying or meaning. I'm not sure why the damage has happened if it was OK from the start and nothing was taken apart.
If you look at the first 2 pictures you clearly see damage to the steerer tube, the steerer have been lose and the dustcap have eaten away on it.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Take it to the bike shop. I doubt the steerer is carbon.

Some advices are solid but some are really strange here and on other forums. it is 100% carbon! The shop cutted it and you can clearly see it's carbon. But you need to start recognize the fact that lighting and other things can make things look different.

Agree, just don’t be too upset with the smiles on the mechanics faces.
I know I have been stupid in this case.

BTW: I consider this fork to be toast. I won't use it outside not a chance. I will buy a new, now I just need to understand everything about buying a replacement. If I have 1.5->1.8* then this measure is the only important thing when I buy a new? Rake is not?

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

It's almost certainly an operator error rather than a 'Chinacrap' manufacturing problem.
I think the steerer bung isn't being installed correctly. I suspect that the marking on the steerer tube doesn't represent damage. Your local bike shop will be able to advise.
It's 100% damaged, they weren't there from the start and rings around a carbonfork is not good. My fault probably yes.

The thing with the bike and the manufactur is that they ****** up with the bike, I can't even lower my seatpost because a big bump insid the bump and many more small mistakes from them. Otherwise I would already have ordered a new from them. But this is my fault. Sucks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get the shop to check it. You'll get marks on any surface from the compression ring. Given you've been struggling to get this 'right' get it double checked - might save you a fork.

Seatpost - you may need to trim some off the bottom - again bike shop for the cutting if you've not got the tools.

Reactions: C R
It's 100% damaged, they weren't there from the start and rings around a carbonfork is not good. My fault probably yes.

The thing with the bike and the manufactur is that they ****** up with the bike, I can't even lower my seatpost because a big bump insid the bump and many more small mistakes from them. Otherwise I would already have ordered a new from them. But this is my fault. Sucks
A superficial mark on the surface of a carbon steerer may or may not represent structural damage. I'm not seeing anything major in your images. You are not a carbon fibre expert. Take it to a bike shop.

Daft question, when you tighten the steerer nut on the top your doing it when the two bolts on the stem are loose so the stem can slid down and compress?

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Daft question, when you tighten the steerer nut on the top your doing it when the two bolts on the stem are loose so the stem can slid down and compress?
I do I do, that much have I understood after looking on countless videos and tutorials. This is from riding a loose headset without crown? The dustcap have made the marks.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

We all live and learn @CyclingStone don't get too upset by it.
I learn every day, thing is I am a poor dude who cycled for the fun off it, I hate all the mechanical things . And it have been a struggle to learn all the things you need to know if you want to cycle, but this is apparently not the same as learning how you put on a new tire... I can see that now.

But before this bike I had the same bike for many years and it was all aluminium.

Top Bottom