Headset totally loose (crap) and marks in fork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

As long as I get a fork which is tapered 1.8 , 1.5 there is no problem in the world? Offset doesn't matter? I have read that you can change offset as you like.

As long as I get a fork which is tapered 1.8 , 1.5 there is no problem in the world? Offset doesn't matter? I have read that you can change offset as you like.
Where did you read this?

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Offset is very important.

Ok good I bought one with the same offset then.heavier, more expensive and alu steerer but it will give me peace of miind. And it will come quick. There will obviously come a point when I start thinking of weight but I don't trust carbon steerer.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is the bung actually tightened up inside the steerer tube, if you’re tightening the top cap and it’s just pulling the bung up the steerer tube, I believe you lock the bung in place with an Alan key, then the top cap bolt goes through the hole in this bolt in order to tighten the whole assembly up to remove play in the steering

View: https://youtu.be/_R9XwPMw2WA

I would say that is almost certainly the problem. First time I used a bung instead of a star nut the same thing happened, a quick Youtube sorted me out.

I think your compression plug is too short. So it was holding for awhile. It is a 5 min fix at a bike shop with a longer compression plug. They will know the tightening process. To be honest nothing wrong with the fork, steerer or the bike.

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Hi all and thanks for all your input. I will go with a alu steerer now , it will put my mind to rest. I guess I need to install it correctly this time.

I just have one question now, I have integrated crownrace under the bottom bearing but this doesn't mean that you don't need a crown race at the top bearing? Because when I put a crownrace on the top everything fixed itself. Now it sits hard.

I see this fork as trashed and will only go back to carbon if the alusteerer makes me much slower.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I see this fork as trashed and will only go back to carbon if the alusteerer makes me much slower.

It's the least carbon looking carbon steerer I've ever seen, in fact it's the most aluminium looking carbon steerer I've ever seen.

Whatever.

The Aluminium steerer will make the bike slower than a carbon one. Over the course of a 24 hour time trial you may lose as much as one yard.

DRM

Guru
It was above the steerertube when I looked so I put it back down. Doesn't do anything. the damn cap just moves back and forward whatever I do. Where is even center on this thing??! Should I not put it above the aluminiumring you see in picture 4? But if I do there will be space in front of the dustcap.

The bung jumped up again. What's the problem?
You need to tighten it inside the steerer tube with an alan key

DRM

Guru
It's the least carbon looking carbon steerer I've ever seen, in fact it's the most aluminium looking carbon steerer I've ever seen.

Whatever.

The Aluminium steerer will make the bike slower than a carbon one. Over the course of a 24 hour time trial you may lose as much as one yard.
Looks very metallic to me too

DRM

Guru
Why do the plug (bung) raises itself everytime? ?

And even if I get this to work I guess my steerertube is wack, those rings.. :sad: But I would like it to work becaues it's not good putting it on the trainer when being loose. But I just don't get it and I could accept it if I never was able to put it together but I did and it wasn't that hard but then it became loose after a while and now it's impossible to get this crap together. :cursing::cursing::cursing:
I think your steer tube needs cutting down as well, there's quite a lot of spacers under the stem, and far too many above it

OP
OP
C

CyclingStone

Whatever.

I find this answer really intresting and funny. I have read a lot of threads on bicycle-forums and this comes up so many times. One guy (or woman) have a problem with their carbon fork and people thinks it's aluminium.

Tell me, how in the bloody hell can it weigh 270 grams if it is alu?!?! I will post more pictures of it, just because you are so very sure and so very wrong at the same time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I find this answer really intresting and funny. I have read a lot of threads on bicycle-forums and this comes up so many times. One guy (or woman) have a problem with their carbon fork and people thinks it's aluminium.

Tell me, how in the bloody hell can it weigh 270 grams if it is alu?!?! I will post more pictures of it, just because you are so very sure and so very wrong at the same time.
Give it a tap with a screwdriver and you'll soon tell if it's metal or a composite material. Anyway, have you tightened the bung yet?

Top Bottom