Health benefits to society of cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Whilst walking the dog and listening to the news earlier, the lib dems were talking about raising money for the nhs by increasing income tax by 1%. This got me thinking: instead of giving more money to the nhs, would we better served by making everybody ride bikes? Obviously I'm being rather simplistic and facetious here, but what I was wondering is how does the general health of a population that is "fully geared" towards cycling (sorry!) compare to that of the people of Britain? Holland for example: for all its well espoused bike friendly policies, are the Dutch people healthier than us? And if so, can this be directly attributed to cycling?

Drago

Legendary Member
Superb idea.

Alas, nearly all the Lib Dems and their supporters would rather drive cars, and slowly kill themselves, the planet, and us.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
https://country-facts.findthedata.com/compare/28-30/United-Kingdom-vs-Netherlands

Life expectancy is the same, but more of them make it to 65 (particularly for men), and we have a third more obese.

Oddly, they produce much more carbon per capita.

(assumes that those figures are correct)
https://country-facts.findthedata.com/compare/28-30/United-Kingdom-vs-Netherlands

Life expectancy is the same, but more of them make it to 65 (particularly for men), and we have a third more obese.

Following your obesity stats, last year NHS England revealed that it spends £16 billion(!) on obesity related conditions. So trim a third off that, we could save £5billion a year by getting the population to be more healthy ib the first place!

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ That annoys me a bit. Eat yourself stupid and get Type II diabetes (or smoke drugs until you turn schizophrenic, smoke tobacco until you get lung cancer, etc) and you get your prescriptions for free.

Live a healthy lifestyle and end up with something like MS etc through no fault of your own, you get to pay for your prescriptions.

The Government would save a lot of money if people paid for the consequences of their lifestyle instead of being rewarded with free prescriptions, while those who take care of themselves get charged for the privilege. Its truly muffed up.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
^^^ That annoys me a bit. Eat yourself stupid and get Type II diabetes (or smoke drugs until you turn schizophrenic, smoke tobacco until you get lung cancer, etc) and you get your prescriptions for free.

Live a healthy lifestyle and end up with something like MS etc through no fault of your own, you get to pay for your prescriptions.

The Government would save a lot of money if people paid for the consequences of their lifestyle instead of being rewarded with free prescriptions, while those who take care of themselves get charged for the privilege. Its truly muffed up.

Be careful what you wish for.Injuries after crashing your bike could be described as lifestyle related.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. And that's the grey area between the two extremes. Is cycling an unreasonably risky means of trying to stay fit?

I would contend not, seeing as cycling in public is statistically safer than walking in public.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.

It is truly strange what is considered bad enough for free prescriptions and what isn't. I have no thyroid gland so I have to take a huge dose of thyroxine every day or I will die and my prescriptions are free. However someone who has severe asthma, which in my (very non medical) has to pay for theirs. Surely an asthma attack can kill you just as much as no thyroid gland.

gbb

Legendary Member
On a personal level, I usually get back from a ride on a high, genuinely happy.

Would society be happier if they all cycled ? :okay: would the world be a better place :rolleyes:

BrynCP

Über Member
The Lib Dems can say anything, because it will never amount to anything.

It is truly strange what is considered bad enough for free prescriptions and what isn't. I have no thyroid gland so I have to take a huge dose of thyroxine every day or I will die and my prescriptions are free. However someone who has severe asthma, which in my (very non medical) has to pay for theirs. Surely an asthma attack can kill you just as much as no thyroid gland.

I didn't realise this was so limited. I get free prescriptions as I need to take anticonvulsants daily, and I assumed everybody who needed permanent medication did.

What I find a bit odd, is that all my prescriptions are free, so my GP will prescribe ibuprofen and the pharmacist happily dispense it on a prescription! As I can spare 32p for a box I don't take up this generous offer that costs the NHS far more than 32p. (Not only that, I was entitled to a free bus pass when I couldn't drive which puzzled me somewhat - I didn't take it).

Low Gear Guy

Veteran

The Netherlands has higher carbon emissions from oil refineries and other petrochemical industries. Much of the production is then exported.
Many people forget that motor vehicle CO2 emissions do not take account of the energy required to extract crude oil and process it into petrol and diesel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought the same thing when I got put on warfarin for life. I only lasted 3 months without it before getting ill again so my body definitely proved that I need it but it is one of those drugs that isn't free on the NHS in England. It doesn't make sense. (It doesn't make any difference to me now because I get free prescriptions, having since had my 60th birthday, but it annoyed me.)

Last edited:

Booze and fags have high tax rates. As much as I think smoking is a filthy habit, and I cant stand being around them, they do pay their way in that regard.

keithmac

Guru
I thought the same thing when I got put on warfarin for life. I only lasted 3 months without it before getting ill again so my body definitely proved that I need it but it isn't one of those drugs that isn't free on the NHS in England. It doesn't make sense. (It doesn't make any difference to me now because I get free prescriptions, having since had my 60th birthday, but it annoyed me.)

My Dad has to take wafarin and another drug every day or he would more than likey die, neither are free and it ammounts to a fair amount over the year in charges.

Top Bottom