Health Experts - Relative with MRSA wound infection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone got experience with a relative with MRSA wound infection.

My MIL had a fall way back in early August, but has had a leg wound that just hasn't healed and has now been confirmed with MRSA. She's currently in a Nursing Home awaiting return home when carers are available.

The wound is being dressed by nurses as its still weeping. Now were a little bothered about bringing anything back home that could possibly affect my son - type 1 diabetic with pump and cannula for supplying insulin. We're probably not going to let him go round as my MIL's personal hygiene isn't good due to disabilities. Last thing one needs is cannula sites developing infections.

For us, it's less of an issue and ensuring we use the hand gels before and after leaving. Hopefully she won't be allowed home with this infection. The other worry is the infection getting worse as it's been weeping for months, which, unfortunately could lead to blood poisoning.

Anyone got some sound advice.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I had MRSA 4 times in a row from a stomach wound a few years ago.
They kept giving me IV Vancomycin until eventually it did go.
Recovery can be dependent on the individual; child, old person, someone who has existing medical problems and so on. It can be a real pig to get rid of.
Mine kept coming back after each course of meds. But fortunately it did go after the fourth cycle.
Sorry, that doesn't help you very much.
I hope the lady in question recovers soon, it is a miserable thing to get.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

She's not in the best health. Very poor leg circulation, bad heart, stroke. It's worrying for her (we haven't told her yet), but we must keep my son safe as his cannula site and finger pricking is possibly an easy way for him to pick it up, plus he is a bugger for 'eating' his fingers.

She's likely to need some strong antibiotics as she was on others with the infection. We suspected something wasn't right with the wound.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I would definately keep your son away until she is better. Especially as he has ongoing medical issues.
If she isn't in the best of health in the first place it can be a difficult thing to get under control.
Mine took a while because I take immunosuppressant medication.
Yes, you can tell something is not quite right with the wound. Mine was all manky and as you say, you just know it isn't right.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For us, it's less of an issue and ensuring we use the hand gels before and after leaving.

Anyone got some sound advice.

Hand gels are not a substitute for proper hand washing. I understand why you're concerned for your son and in your position I would learn how to wash correctly - that is as a nurse, midwife etc. would or should!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Cheers. We would be in contact with items she handles, especially my wife - e.g. sewing up her mum's knitting. We are handling my sons medical equipment at home, so being careful and washing thoroughly is necessary.

Hand gels are not a substitute for proper hand washing. I understand why you're concerned for your son and in your position I would learn how to wash correctly - that is as a nurse, midwife etc. would or should!

+1

They are convenient, but proper hand washing will always be better. It is acceptable to use them in between hand washes, but every 4th use should be a hand wash. This will vary according to source, but the concept is sound

Top Bottom